dog poisoned by toad?...

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

dog poisoned by toad?...

Postby Bernice » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Greetings all!

A quick question (and I hope someone here answers quick!)

My dog (german pointer pup) was 'playing' with a red sided toad, i got him away from it and removed froggie from the back yard, but now he is gagging and drooling copiously...
how toxic are red sided toads and how panicked should i be that he has been experimentally gumming on it!?

advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: dog poisoned by toad?...

Postby Primogen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Dogs always seem to foam at the mouth when they mess with toads, but he will be fine just try rinse his mouth out with some water.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Red toads should not have any bufotoxins as the dont have the enlarged glands the other toads have. The dog should be fine and lets hope he does not decide to chew on any of the other toads that occur there who could make him really sick or kill him.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi there!
Thanks all... The stupid dog seems no worse for wear, but hasn't learned his lesson... caught him pawing at another one today... *sigh*
thanks again!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper101 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:46 am

Hahaha, I've seen this a couple of times, really laughed...especially when a dog takes on a Raucous toads !

nice thread Bernice.
Most people erroneously call a snake the Puff Adder, Night Adder, or Blowing Viper, So, naturally they will kill it....
Viper101
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Interesting about the red toad bv. Had a case this weekend of a Yorkshire terrier that bit two toads in quick succession. Foaming at the mouth, vomiting and diarrhoea had cleared within about two hours. Perhaps that glandular ridge on either side of the red toad has something to do with it? I didn't see the toads but based on description and where they were, 10 to 1 it was Schismaderma. I read now that cardiotoxins have been isolated from schismaderma but do they bring about the same symptoms as toxins produced by the Amietophrynus toads? Any creature so easy to catch must have a reliable defence. .
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians