Finally Getting My First

Finally Getting My First

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:19 am

This weekend I put the deposit down on my first snake, and it's a beauty :-D

I've been researching snakes relentlessly, toying with option on which snake would be my first and finally deciding I like the corn variety. And then going about the mammoth task of deciding on a morph.

I liked the Lavenders but finding one in the Cape was proving to be difficult. So I settled on getting a Candycane. As luck my have it the local, reliable pet shop were getting a bunch of candycane's in from their breeder. And on Saturday morning I checked their Facebook page and their stock had arrived!! Needless to say ten minutes later I found myself and my girlfriend sitting on the floor in the pet shop with three tubs worth of little hatchlings infront of me with almost 20 to choose from.

Normals, Amels, Candycanes galore. And then I laid my eyes on one that looked somewhat different. Took it out and let it explore my hands when my girlfriend, who's terrified of snakes, held out her hand and let him do some exploring there too! It was just meant to be. So here's my new baby, a beautiful, butter corn! Unfortunately these are the only pics I have (I was forced to take these) But you can see the little guy brilliantly :D

Hmm she wasn't too sure here
"This is so cool!"
"This one"
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Finally Getting My First

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:33 am

Great stuff. This will be the first of many.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jaredr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:54 am

The addiction has just begun!!!!
Congrats on your first baby!!!
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
Jaredr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks BV and Jaredr!

The bug will bite once I take delivery. Waiting for my transport permit. Maybe I'll go visit him this afternoon during lunch :-D

Any ideas on a name? The gf says I must call him Peanut :smt017
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:06 am

Very very nice...the snake is not bad either ;)

Better start saving money coz now you will start thinking about breeding and which morphs to pair up with the Butter to get nice babies!

You can start a poll and let the forum members vote on name. I suggest Popcorn!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:25 am

Westley Price wrote:Very very nice...the snake is not bad either ;)

Better start saving money coz now you will start thinking about breeding and which morphs to pair up with the Butter to get nice babies!

You can start a poll and let the forum members vote on name. I suggest Popcorn!

:lol: Thanks Westley.

I also thought Popcorn would work. Pops for short ;)

I have a question though. I noticed that all the hatchlings there have a little black spot underneath about 3/4 of the way from the head. The guy at the pet shop said it's their liver and that it's normal. But is it normal for it to be that dull black spot or is that a problem coming in the future? I've been trying to find info on it but I can't seem to find any.
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:24 pm

Yeah, that dark spot should not be a problem.

Often with lighter coloured morphs you are able to see internal organs or even feces so I wouldn't worry too much.

I recon it might be the pancreas and not the liver, but that's just a shot in the dark.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Westley Price wrote:Yeah, that dark spot should not be a problem.

Often with lighter coloured morphs you are able to see internal organs or even feces so I wouldn't worry too much.

I recon it might be the pancreas and not the liver, but that's just a shot in the dark.

Thanks for getting back to me on that one bud. I'll keep an eye on it and see if there are any changes, but if you and the guy at the pet shop are saying it's nothing then I don't think there's anything to worry about. Luckily he's not one of those people who work at pet shops and don't know what's what. He seems to know quite a bit and keeps his own collection of herps so I trust he knows what he's on about.

I'm eagerly awaiting payday so I can finish setting up the tank for the little guy. Transport permit will come through in two or three weeks only :smt022

That first week of having him at home will be excruciating having to leave him to settle in :lol: I'm so excited it's rather embarrassing
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:12 pm

I popped past the pet shop this afternoon after a yellow fever vaccination for my trip to Zambia next month. I took some photo's of Popcorn and one of them is decent :lol:

I did some digging around in the garage and found my old Lego stuff and did some playing around. The red one is for the hot side and the blue for the cold side. Any comments or suggestions? This is the tub I'll be using till Pop outgrows it. I still need paper towels in there and the thermometer and UTH but that'll have to wait for payday :smt022
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Naneek » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:33 am

Congrats :) I reckon you'll have about 10 more snakes in a years time lol :P
Naneek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:37 am

Thanks Naneek

I'm afraid something along those lines sounds exactly like me. And the girlfriend who was terrified of snakes three weeks ago will probably have her own this year too :lol:
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Now that's a metro set up !
Good looking snake, you'll enjoy it endlessly.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:02 pm

predator678 wrote:Now that's a metro set up !
Good looking snake, you'll enjoy it endlessly.

Haha thanks a bunch! I'll hopefully be picking the little guy up this week :-D
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:35 am

So last night I had the discussion with my parents about the new critter I'm getting. That went so well I almost had to pack my sh*t and move out :shock:

Anyway. My boss at work is being awesome and said I can keep it at the office :-D So the little guy will be with me from 8am till 8pm every day, on my desk :smt005
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:30 am

Think most parents have that reaction :P good luck with the little guy, just make sure where you are keeping him is escape proof else you are gonna have some very unhappy coworkers.
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)