Finally Getting My First

Re: Finally Getting My First

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:34 am

gekosin wrote:Think most parents have that reaction :P good luck with the little guy, just make sure where you are keeping him is escape proof else you are gonna have some very unhappy coworkers.

Lol I'll make sure of it thanks gekoskin ;)
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:44 am

Now that boss is a BOSS !
Get him/her hooked and soon the office will turn into a herp room.

Sound advice from gekosin. I would also recommend keeping the cage locked and making sure that you are the only person with access to it.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:48 am

predator678 wrote:Now that boss is a BOSS !
Get him/her hooked and soon the office will turn into a herp room.

He is awesome yes. He just said, "Well why don't you keep it here in the office?" I was like :shock:

I'm afraid he hasn't told his wife yet (She helps out from time to time) so one might be the limit, but I'm sure he'll appreciate a beer or six as thanks :-D
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Come hell or high water, I'm taking this Corn snake :lol:

I'll be keeping him under my desk at work, trying to keep the receptionist and the other engineer away from my desk cause they are both a little terrified of snakes. :smt017

Today, I went to the pet shop and got the UTH and the thermometer with probe. Tonight I'll sort out the enclosure so I can take it to work and leave it under my desk. See if anybody notices :smt016
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Hahaha, that's a little less than ideal but oh well. I say you are a serious herper in the making !
This might seem obvious, but be careful that you don't kick the glass out by accident or knock it out with your chair.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:30 am

I've got a safe spot for the tub under my desk. I've got quite a big desk and I only use half of it so he's going under the other half where I put my bag. But I tend to be one of those people, "I'm doing it, try and stop me" :lol:
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tars » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:41 am

Enjoy the first addition of many more to come, our hobby is awesome and VERY addictive!! I can assure you, soon you will look for ways to sneak him into your room at home.

Not sure how you will get any work done with a snake under your desk, I know I wont be very productive, but enjoy this beautiful creature that many fear...
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:48 am

Tars wrote:Enjoy the first addition of many more to come, our hobby is awesome and VERY addictive!! I can assure you, soon you will look for ways to sneak him into your room at home.

Not sure how you will get any work done with a snake under your desk, I know I wont be very productive, but enjoy this beautiful creature that many fear...

What are you talking about? Soon? I've already started drawing up plans on how to make my desk drawers at home into a sneaky snake enclosure :lol:

I haven't even got my first one yet and I'm already thinking of which morph female to get to breed them. I never knew a hobby so underrated can be so addictive :-D
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Hahaha oh don't get me started, hiding snakes in tubs is as easy as falling out of a tree, I thought you were using a wooden enclosure.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:56 pm

predator678 wrote:Hahaha oh don't get me started, hiding snakes in tubs is as easy as falling out of a tree, I thought you were using a wooden enclosure.

Nah not yet. I haven't been in many trees lately, so I'm a bit rusty in the falling out of them department, but I'm sure I'll catch on quickly. ;)
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:12 am

I just got the call from Panorama Pet Shop saying my transport permit has arrived :-D

I'll go get the little guy on Friday or Saturday so I have some time to set up his enclosure and get the temps running right. I'm so damn excited :smt005
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Awesome, post some pics of him in his set up once it's done :)
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:31 pm

predator678 wrote:Awesome, post some pics of him in his set up once it's done :)

Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Awesome! Congrats!
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:02 am

I've been away for a week so I haven't been able to keep an eye on Pop. My girlfriend was so kind as to change the water every second day when she comes back from varsity. I got home Friday to find some poo in the corner and Pop looking at me as if I did it.

Checked on him again last night while thawing his first meal at my place. It's weird how I didn't feel bad for the little pinky at all :smt017

Pop was having a phat jol around the tub, crawling through the tunnel, over the bridge and over the water bowl, which I'm very pleased about.

He took a while before he went for the mouse. I wiggled, he wiggled, I lay it down, he ran around, I wiggled it again and BAM! Mouse in mouth and trying like a spastic hooligan to constrict this thing. Then proceeding to try and eat it sideways and while I reached for my Phone to record the feeding the bugger turned it and started chowing down. It went down easy and he continued on his merry way exploring the tub as if nothing happened. So I think next week I'll try and feed two pinkies because the bump wasn't much to write home about and disappeared after about ten minutes.

Some pics! :-D

This was Tuesday evening when the SO was there.

This was last night when I opened the drawer :lol:

Bad picture, but I was fascinated that after he ate he went directly to the hot spot, even though his favourite spot is in the tunnel, so I can only assume it's because he ate and he's going there to digest. Awesome animal to watch :-D

I'll post the video on YouTube this week and post the link here. ;)
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)