Peruphasma schultei "pink wing morph"

Peruphasma schultei "pink wing morph"

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:51 am

For years I was under the impression that recessive morphs were a trait reserved for animals without exoskeletons, but some months back I managed to read about a hypoerythristic morph of Peruphasa schultei.

Okay, some info. P. schultei is a recently discovered stick insect in Peru in 2005 and it's natural range is only 5 hectares (10 rugby fields) so VERY SMALL. Regardless of it's rarity in the wild, it is currently one of the more common stick insect species in captivity.

Here is a picture of a "normal" P. schultei

(picture from http://www.stickinsects.org)

I have always loved these due the sharp contrast between the red wings and the velvety black body. While doing some research on them, I found out about the relatively rare hypoerythristic morph. The market name is simply "pink wing" morph, but it's fairly obvious that it is reduced red from the wings are the mouthparts, so I have named in hypo-E.

I have cultures of both the red winged and pink winged variety and yesterday my first male moulted to adult so it's the first time I get to see those gorgeous wings. Here are some pics. Sorry for the cr@p pics but didnt really have time. Will take better ones later.

They are really gorgeous. I think I will have a pure hypo-E culture in one cage and a mixture between hypo-E and normal one in another cage. That way if I do manage to distribute the eggs in the future, some breeders might have a pleasant surprise and hatch some unexpected pink wing morphs.

PS: the wings are only visible after the final moult, so you hardly know you have the pink wing variety until they are adult.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Peruphasma schultei "pink wing morph"

Postby Mitton » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:09 am

Super cool. I also like the velvet black.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Superciliaris » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks Westley ! Intriguing insect.
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:33 am

Very cool, they are gorgeous ! Definitely the first stick insect I've found attractive.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Westley these are absolutely fab! Do you sell these?
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanx alot guys. Yeah they are special.

Hi Bernice

I havent bred them yet as I only have adult males at the moment but I should have some adult females in the next few weeks and eggs soon thereafter.

If they arent outlawed in SA yet I will be distributing some eggs ;)
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bernice » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Yay! please keep me penciled in on that list :)

Ive googled thier husbandry and they look pretty easy? whats your experience? I would love to keep a few as classroom pets in my biology class,... company for the roach culture and the tarantula...

BV! our all-knowing and esteemed leader! what does our inept government say about phasmids?!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:06 pm

A few better pics.

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bernice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi Westley! any updates on the beasties? they so pretty! (confession time... i think the red wings are prettier than the pink...)

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi Bernice

Lots to update ;) I have about 5 or 6 mature females, all being mated as we speak (males spend a lot of time mounted on the females) and a few have already started dropping eggs.

I agree that the normal ones are prettier, but it's the rarity factor that attracted me to the pink ones. I never knew there were recessive genetics at play in the invertebrate world so I just had to have them.

A few pics. Enjoy

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby levi_20 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Very cool, thanks!
levi_20
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Awsome! :D
Good luck with hatching the eggs! and PLEASE remember to keep me penciled in for a few of the gorgeous babies when you start spreading them around!

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Currently keeping these will not bring any authorities down on you. Its a harmless hobby so go ahead and develop it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby inneshealy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Wow these are pretty
inneshealy
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Other invertebrates