The Dreaded Mite

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Re: The Dreaded Mite

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:48 pm

I myself have suffered with most exotic pet form of mite. The latest the grain mite.

Paramite is an excellent product against snake mites and is 100% non toxic.

Earlier this year I introduced my whole house with snake mites when I bought an eyed lizard trio that was extremely neglected. I used paramite and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

The best bet for eliminating dormant eggs in my opinion is use bleach and spray your facility down daily in every corner and crack.

Be careful with natural substrates.
Make sure to sterilize the substrates before use and make sure to quarantine new additions for as long as possible. Sun also kills mite eggs. so open the windows and curtains for a few days and that should help too.
Follow our progress on our facebook page (Rabid Evolution reptiles)
Rabid.Evo8691
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby venomking » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:35 pm

ughh.. after reading this post a while ago i was looking at all my enclosures for this bloody parasite and bam today i went to look up on all my snakes and low and behold my boa inclosure is invested with these small bastards i can't seem to find the komodo parasite so I'm going to try frontline this is the worst I've seen some of them are so big can see them just looking at my snake HATE IS NOT EVEN THE WORD for these little buggers
venomking
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm sorry for your loss, Roland.

It may be that the deceased animals drank the treated bath liquid? (When treating in a bath, I always place the animals in clear water for ten minutes first, so that if thirsty they drink just water, then add the treatment.)

Have you ever tried Provent a Mite?
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Greetings Cliff

I have not seen Prevent A Mite in our shops.
The Komodo Product is so effective, that 2 years later, I still do not have any mites.
I need to see what the Komodo Products name is, I have some in stock because I found it to be scarce, and so one day when I came across some in a Pet Shop, I bought a couple of bottles of the stuff, just in case. It really makes getting rid of mites very easy.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 pm

It may be a US only product? Regardless, keep an eye out for it, as it is very effective and I've never heard of a death due to it (unless the keeper failed to follow instructions).

Venomking, I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I hope you manage to get rid of the little pests!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:20 am

The product I used is called Paramite spray, and is trulyt a miracle worker.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Reptile Hospital