Lycodonomorphus rufulus (Common brown water snake)

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Lycodonomorphus rufulus (Common brown water snake)

Postby jigglypuff » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is keeping the Lycodonomorphus rufulus (Common brown water snake) in their current collection?

Would love to get one on permit in western cape, but think this will be another of my fruitless pursuits :smt021

Their diving and fishing fascinate me :D

All feedback welcome!
It is said that when darkness falls all the beasts and ghouls come out to play.........i've only found my corns coming out to play.....
jigglypuff
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Lycodonomorphus rufulus (Common brown water snake)

Postby rolandslf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:12 am

I kept one for over a year, he ate fish and Mouse Pinks.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lucas S » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Hello,

for two years now I keep an adult trio, I already kept a single animal some years before. They will thrive very good in captivity, but my animals never went into the water (also L. laevissimus). They took dead fish (smelt) and unscented babymice/rats from the tongs from the first day. Today they even don't accept fish anymore, now they only take rodents. Really nice snakes to keep, so I hope to breed them next year, this year my female only deposed an unfertile clutch. Anyway, my animals are mating like mad for a couple of weeks now. So far I hibernated them quite cold, for under 10°C for about 10 - 12 weeks, for the coming winter (I'm from Germany) I will try a "warm hibernation". By the way, if anyone here already bred this species, I would be very grateful for any information!

Lucas
Lucas S
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Corina » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Heya

I've recently inherited a common brown water snake, however I've started getting a bit worried about him as he refuses to eat. Does anyone have any advice for me? I've previously kept house snakes but this is the first water snake I've kept and I'm a tad bit out of my depth.

Thanks! :D
Corina
Corina
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:10 am

Hi Corina

They do slow down during winter, so give it another month and I am sure when the temps start to pick up the snake will start to eat again.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes