East African Gaboon Viper

Re: East African Gaboon Viper

Postby 54bogger » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:35 pm

I posted my answer's to the question's, if you don't agree that's fine. :smt020
54bogger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 54bogger » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:39 pm

GraemeEC- yea I hear they can be a 'handful', are they wild caught or captive born?
54bogger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GraemeEC » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:33 pm

Not realy a problem.They are captive bred.use a snake stick then hand on the tail and move them.Simple always tell them whats what.Always act the same around them and never show fear.As your energy will change and so will theirs.Western diamondbabck rattlers are real enquizative snakes.
GraemeEC
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Okay, free handling aside (it's obvious 95% of us think it's reckless and serves no purpose), how about posting some pictures of your setups? At least that's something constructive that we can all learn from.

I saw in another topic you have a few pits. It is a very useful method of keeping which is very seldom used in RSA.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby 54bogger » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Well westly it serves MY purpose, and if I was reckless as you claim I'd be dead by now. Since you claim to speak for everyone I guess YOUR group thinks Steve Irwin was also reckless and his actions served no purpose along with Grace Olive Wiley, Mark o'shea, and many others. I don't mind you disagreeing with me but don't condemn what YOU don't understand.

54bogger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 54bogger » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Here's a few pics of my cages.

This is my retic's cage until he gets to big.

This cage house's my male and female Eastern Diamondback Rattlers. (This pic is old I have since added a hide and put in aspen as a substrate)

Here's Sweetpea's cage, my Eastern Diamondback Rattler.(The snake I hold in some pics)

In this pic you can see the 12ftx12ft pen that I bring my snakes out in for some exercise. (I'm holding Sweetpea)

54bogger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:56 pm

I beg to differ, there is free handling when you don’t use tools but still control where the snakes head goes as seen in these pictures with Irwin and O’Shea. What Grace Olive Wiley and yourself are doing is putting your trust in the snake completely in hopes it won’t bite. I’m sure you are still being cautious and taking a calculated risk when picking these snakes up but you have no control over the head and would not be able to get out of the way in time if the snake did decide strike.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 54bogger » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:17 pm

I let my record speak for itself, I'm 50yrs old and have been bitten by ONE venomous snake when I was 19yrs old. In none of the pics does o'shea or Irwin have 'control' of the snakes head.

If you or others want to argue about freehandling please start your own thread because this one's about my Gaboon Ginger. Thanks ;-)
54bogger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GraemeEC » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:45 pm

you said it.hands on no tools.Some venomous snakes are nice in nature and let you handle them.Others not.Just like people some are nasty and some aren't.And our animals are family not just trophies.
GraemeEC
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby 54bogger » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:46 pm

Thank you, well said.
54bogger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:07 am

Your next question 'why post it over the internet'?
Because I've searched the web and have not found any real articles or anything else pertaining to what I'm trying to do. I know I'm not the only one interested in this.

Now we are talking about what you are "trying to do", and you don't want to discuss anymore?? This thread is not just about your Gaboon, rather more about how you handle your Gaboon. If you did not really want to discuss this than you should not have posted it as some of us have already said.

Irwin and O'Shea did have much more control over the snakes they were handling in the photos you posted, in the sense that they could react and change their position as the snake did. If they had the cobra hang around their neck with the head moving freely up against their body then I would agree with you that there is no difference to what you are doing but this was not the case. Need I even mention the huge difference between the strike speed of a cobra vs any viper?
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:41 am

Please don’t get me wrong and try take this as constructive criticism. I get what you are trying to do better than most. What venomous snake lover does not fantasize about cradling a big fat Gaboon in their arms whether we would actually take the risk or not. It is exactly because of my love of venomous snakes that I do not want to give more fuel to the authorities be it in RSA or USA to pass further legislation preventing dedicated keepers from keeping venomous reptiles. Like I said before this type of risky handling posted in a public place does the future our hobby/industry no favors!
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 54bogger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:59 pm

O.K I'll put it this way, this is what I do and will continue to do because where I live I am not breaking any LAWS! I tried to answer questions but I already knew people wouldn't understand so complain all you want! I don't NEED ANYONE'S PERMISSION to handle my snakes. Everything we do in this life DOESN'T have to make sense to others,I've been condemned by the so called snake community again and again this isn't the first time.
Many people who own venomous snakes keep them in cages that the snake cant even stretch out in, the snakes never get to feel the warm sunshine on their backs, most never have felt the EARTH under their belly's as they crawl along. Their LOCKED DOWN 24/7 and when they do get to come out it's only to be placed in a holding container of some kind while the 'keeper' cleans the cage or gives them water, then their placed back and that's the only time their allowed out! If there's such a thing as SNAKE HELL that's it. Just what purpose does that serve? But yet I'm called the reckless and irresponsible one.
Mr.Klein, you and the so called snake community can have YOUR HOBBY, this is no more a hobby for me than it is for people who have kids, this is MY FAMILY.
54bogger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Mr. 54bogger, you are obviously missing the point completely. One day as a result of your actions (and others like yourself) you may wake up to find your so called "family" has become illegal to own so enjoy playing with your snakes while you can. You can have this thread and best of luck to you.
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 54bogger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:58 pm

And Sir you don't seem to understand it is LEGAL in my state to do what I do! Again I'm only doing what's WITHIN THE PERIMETERS OF THE LAW in my state.
You want me NOT to do what is legal in my state so they don't pass more laws? :smt017
54bogger
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Adders (Bitis sp.)