Problem child

Problem child

Postby g scruby » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi there. I got a rtb from a friend, it was neglected so I took it in. It was very skinny when I got it. My problem is that (dont know the sex) it eats like a champion but it has not shed and poo'd since 3 meals ago. I feed it a mice every Sunday,but skipped this Sunday . there are problems I want questions To? It has 3 meals in it but hasnt poo'd in 4 weeks, why?and handling it often, does it stress out to the point where it delays its natural process?Do boas have to have a water bowl on a heating substance? Am I feeding it to often? . The snake is just under 1 meter. I dont know the age . I use newspaper as a substrate
g scruby
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Problem child

Postby newbe » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:56 am

Best would be to put up some pics of the enclosure setup you currently have and pics of the snake maybe some RTB experts will be able to better assist you with their knowledge.
''Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY. Willing is not enough, we must DO.'' - Bruce Lee
newbe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:52 pm

Id suggest saoking your boa in warm/luke warm water in a tub for 20minutes or so make sure there is only enough water to cover the snakes body so it can breathe easily and keep a eye on it, should help
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby g scruby » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:13 am

Im worried it could be constipated 3 meals and its been month. Ive never had this problem before?
g scruby
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:29 am

Give the Warm water soak a try , it could be a variety of factors, but do that first and see if it helps
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reynard » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Also try moving off rats. They are essentially fur and bones. Rats have a lot more fat on them and should get her back into shape much quicker.
Try leaving the handling till after she is back to her former health and size.
Why not multiple water bowls? I always had a large "soak tub" halfway on the heating pad and a smaller tub on the cold side. But I'd definitely also give the warm water a try.
1.2 Red Tail Boas

It's my life. Let me live it.
Reynard
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Redtail boas (Boa constrictor sp.)