Bitis caudalis and cornuta

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Hello Craig

Postby Horned Adder » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:56 pm

I also know this guy from the USA, have had the opportunety to get some of his beautyful Bitis cornuta from Lüderitz and Bitis xeropaga, a few years ago - it was extremely expensive, but the speciemens are absolutely awesome. His name is ''Mike'' when I remember right... :cool:

By the way, great Pics mate.....let me know if you have something available as CB in the future. Just drop me a line :-)

Unfortunately if Bitis caudalis is available, almost 100% of it are Namaquas. They are cool, but from my experience they can be a little bit difficult to get them to accept mice as food. My Namibia caudalis are much easîer, have never had to force feed them so far.

Cheers

Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Pics

Postby Horned Adder » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:12 pm

Bitis caudalis from Solitaire Namibia:

Baby

adult female

Bitis caudalis and me, near Swakopmund Namibia:

same caudalis without me ;-)

Bitis peringueyi found in the same area in Swakopmund:

Hope you liked the pics...

Cheers

Marco from Switzerland
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Pics part two

Postby Horned Adder » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:22 pm

Bitis schneideri female form N.P (Southafrica)

Bitis cornuta (Lüderitz)

Bitis caudalis Keetmanshoop Namibia:

Lüderitz cornuta feeeding:

Lüderitz cornuta:

Bitis xeropaga

Bitis cornuta (Springbock Area) :

so that's it for now, do have much more pics, but don't think it is needed to post everything :lol:

Cheers
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:22 pm

I was under the impression that Namibia never allowed the export of reptiles. You must be very lucky or have good contacts to get that right.

I am glad to see that this species is being bred in Europe to take the pressure off the wild population.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

changed my mind ;-) lol

Postby Horned Adder » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Cornuta Springbock:

Bitis atropos (SWC)

Bitis caudalis (Namaqualand)

B. caudalis from SA, unknown locality:

Bitis cornuta Lüderitz:

Bitis xeropaga:

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/515 ... 90-med.jpg

Baby peringueyi:

Cheers
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakepeter » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:20 pm

Hi Marco,

thanks for your posts as well...
Those Solitaire Namibia` caudalis are very nice, especially as babies. Do you breed them regulary? Babies have color similar to xeropaga` color... :)

Also, do you have more of xeropagas except the male showed on picture? As I know, there should be some of these in Germany, that`s what I heard at least... :?:
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

@ Snakepeter

Postby Horned Adder » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:34 pm

I have never bred the Solitair's, the males are too young at the moment. But I am hoping for 2008/2009 :cool:

Bitis xeropaga isn't something very rare in Europen Collections, the are bred every years from an Austrian Guy (Wallner). There are 20-40 Babies available almost every year....

Do only have one male left sorry.......it's the one ob the pic.

Cheers
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakepeter » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:39 pm

Ok Marco, thanks.

I know Wallner, we got caudalis and cornutas from him, but I didn`t know he is breeding xeropagas as well....

I wish you all the best with future breeding of Solitaire Namibia` caudalis, they are really very nice...

Best regards,
Peter
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:35 am

Hey Marco,

I will let you know when I have CB available. I am working on getting a group of xeropagas. I really wanna work with these. Yes Michael from USA often spoke of you. I cant believe he went from breeding xeropaga and cornuta every year, just bred rubida, had armata, albanica, etc and just gave it up? I will contact him soon and try to trace his rubida. I think they are in Europe somewhere.

Peter I have answered your email.
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

@ Craig

Postby Horned Adder » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:23 pm

If you are interested, I have a CB male of xeropaga available - it's one of Michaels Babies....

A few weeks ago I offered it to someone, but he wasn't very interested, I didn't know that you might be interested......... :roll: I would be interested to trade against atropos and/or cornuta CB's if available.

I was thinking about doin' a picture-herping tripp somewhere in your area next year. Also talked to someone about the visit, as you probably know.. :lol:

Yes it is a shame with Michael, also didn't expect that he ever stops with working with them. It was a long and hard work to get them all together, and then a few years later everything's over.....he's a good guy. Has had extremely high prices, but the babies where awesome and worth every penny. Have had the opportunety to get one of his cornuta ''Ghosts'' and three normal ones. Also the xeropagas...

It is absolutely possible that the rubidas are in Europe now, but do not know that - I really hope they are in good hands and are still alive. Someone has to breed them, to make this species available to the public community. The same for armata and albanica.....it's time that there's someone who's breeding them. Would also be good for the local endangered populations in SA - so it is worth the challlenge and every effort.

Please send me a mail as soon as you know something more about the legal availability of some Bitis spec. They are my one and only passion...

Take care, wish you a merry X-mas and happy new year

Cheers

Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:20 am

A random question which I hope will kickstart this topic again... What are the breeders in Europe giving the newborn dwarf Bitis for their first meal? Are they feeding geckos? And do they all strive to get the babies onto rodents asap? Also, do they vary the diet at all?

Regards
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

I can't speak for all...

Postby Horned Adder » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:03 pm

But the first diet my babies will get is a mixture of 40% Water and 60% of Hill's A/D. This by using a catheter for dogs as stomach tube.

Later they will receive mice Heads, and whole pinky mice bodies forcefeed. As soon as possible I try to get them to eat on their own. This can easely take 2-3 months or so.

Cheers
Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks Marco. Hills A/D? Dog food?

Forgive my ignorance, but is there no lizard available which can be fed? We obviously have an abundance. Is that not an option over there?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:22 pm

Interesting method Marco. I know Michael from USA used to start on pinky heads or pinky hams/rumps then as the snakes grow upgrade to full pinkies. By that stage usually he had to just place the pinky in the mouth and the snake would swallow. He said most are eating by themselves after 6 months (incl. xeropaga).

I heard that Hills A/D is very rich and has killed snakes - interesting to know that it works for you...worth considering.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

@ Craig

Postby Horned Adder » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Hill's A/D is rich yes, and the problem is most snake keepers did not only mix it with water. They also added some extra Vitamins and Minerals into it, this was definitely to much.....could kill the liver etc. Some even mixed it with some extra olive oil :roll: That's a very fast way to kill a delicate baby snake.

But if you make a mixture of 50:50 oder 60:40 with only water, it is great and absolutely harmless. It's almost no stress for the snake, because feeding with this pulp works very very fast and it ist extremely well digestible for them. Combination of Proteins, Fatty Acids and stuff is very good suitable for snake babies. 2-3 days after feeding, they usually defecate.

I have used it for my 6 peringueyi and 6 caudalis babies in 2005, and I haven't had any losses. But from the 5 cornutas I forcefeed in 2004 with mice heads, 2 died.... :roll:

So my first choice is HILL's A/D

Cheers Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Active archive