Bitis caudalis and cornuta

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Postby snakepeter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:31 am

Hi Marco,

congratulation on babies, they are very nice. Thanks for sharing details about your experience with care for fresh babies or non-feeding animals, we will try it over here as well...

Sorry about later reply, but I was quite busy last few days, so can do it just now...

Peter
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

@Peter

Postby Horned Adder » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:50 pm

No worries mate, your answer is welcome at any time ;)

Cheers

Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:27 am

Can those with dwarf bitis please post their cage measurements.

Mine are all 600mmx400mm. The shed skin of the largest bitis I have in those cages measures 730mm so I would guess her length to be around 600mm at least.

Anybody else?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

@ Rob

Postby Horned Adder » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:49 am

My adult caudalis males are seperated in 40 x 30 cm tanks, my females separated in 70 x70 cm tanks. My Lüderitz cornutas are 2.2 in a 100 x 50 cm tank - soon the will be put in a 130 x 70 cm cage. My 1.1 Baby Springbok cornuta's are separated in 40 x 30cm tanks. The same for my 1.1 atropos...they are also separated in 40 x 30cm.

My 3 schneideris house together in a 100 x 50 cm tank.

And last but not least, my male xeropaga also is in a 40 x 30cm tank...

That's it

Cheers
Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:52 am

Marco - So u house all your pairs or groups together in the same cage? Please check your private messages.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Generally I keep mine in 2 foot aquariums...approximately 60 x 30 x 30 cm.
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:45 pm

Today I saw a sorry sight. My big red female caudalis (I have her pic on this thread) dropped 12 slugs, 1 still born and only 1 live baby.

Anyway the little one is trying to shed because the cage was very dry and then I will try the dogfood soup to raise him.

Last year I had 17 babies and not one survived so this time I only get one chance to screw up 100 percent.

I might still have another one or two gravid horned adders. Hold thumbs!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:49 pm

On the other subject I am amazed that you keep cornuta (Many horned adders) together. The Transvaal museum had a female that was about 70 cm long and every year she killed and ate her males. Okay she did breed twice but at the rate she ate males I am suprised that they even got to mate with her.

I kept Bitis atropos (Berg adders) together for over two years and then one day my female killed and ate the male who was almost the same size as her.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Best of luck with the baby BV.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:09 pm

What a bummer about those caudalis. The red babies are very pretty. Are any of your other possibly pregnant females red?
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

@ Bushviper

Postby Horned Adder » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Sorry about the caudalis babies, whe I read it I was very happy to have my 4. I feel with you, that's a tragedy..... :(

What happened to the 17 Babies last year ? Why didn't they survive ?? I have had 6 in 2005, and all are doing well until today. So I do not understand what the problems was, do you have an idea ??

Yepp, I am keeping 2.2 Bitis cornuta form Lüderitz together in one single cage. Since about 4 years when I remember right......woithout any problem so far. They never trid to bite me or eachother, and also easely accept mice as food. They are not even interested in lizzards and stuff, they prefer mice....

Yepp, sure atropos theoreticly can be canibalistic, but as long as they receive enough food, and aren't feed with lizzards, I think they shouldn't eat eachother. Probably it also is important to have a big male, you shouldn't put a too small male in the cage of a big female - that's definitely something that shouldn't happen. At the moment my 1.1 are also separated, and not together in one cage of course.

It's interesting to hear from your experiences, sometimes they are completely different, that's something that makes our hobby/passion so faszinating- isn't it so ?

Cheers
Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:20 pm

Last year I tried forcefeeding with pinky legs and rat pup tails and the snakes did not do well. They all just died after a few weeks. I have pics somewhere which I will look to post.

I might actually try this one on geckos.

My other females are from Pietersburg and Zimbabwe. They are much smaller too.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Zeek » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss BV
When one goes in search of honey
One must expect to be stung
Zeek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:56 pm

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby phobos » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:45 am

Yes, I got a number of his animals. He got out of it because he was keeping them in a State where it was Illegal to keep non-native venomous, he got tired of worring about the police & wildlife people busting down his door.

I am just now picking up my jaw off the floor. What a fantastic bunch of pictures!!

Here's some on mine as for location we can only guess.

Almost a yearling, she managed to tie herself up with her shedding

After I untangled that mess

Here "Spot" drinking

One female who likes to yawn for me

Last but not least my Bitis r. rudolfi (who visits only once a year)

These are all the photos I have online at this time but you can see my others on my website. Listed by genus

http://www.deadlybeautiful.com
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Active archive