Burm Control

Burm Control

Postby mw-glenn » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:35 pm

In the past few weeks my burm's temperament seems to have become quite excitable. She becomes very active and investigates any movement thoroughly. She's certainly not starving - I feed her 2 very large rats weekly and she looks pretty plump. I don't handle her very much and at 2.5m & about 15 kilo's I'm worried that if it gets worse she will become very difficult to keep and potentialy dangerous.
How do I calm her down a bit?
Should I feed her more, handle her more?
Could it be the heat?

G.
Glenn.
mw-glenn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:08 pm

What are your temps like? i keep mine at a mininum of 28 cold side and up to 35-34 hot side 24/7,and no problems so far.
I would suggest giving her some more food,at 2,5 m she can handle a nice sized bunny.
Also make sure about "her" sex,she might just be a he trying to find a mate :shock: :lol: What is her age?These guys can mature as early as 18 months :shock:
Good luck,with a bit more food she might just calm down again,they get like that when they are hungry and at her size she still has plenty of growing to do so you dont have to be to worried about making her fat for the time being...
Good luck.
DAN
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:37 pm

It could be the heat, and I would suggest you handle her more as well.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby mw-glenn » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Hunger seems to be the most obvious reason - I'll try put her on something bigger - she's definately a she and is about 3yrs now. Temps are around 30.
I must say the cage is a little small for her, waiting for the expo to upgrade to a bigger one.

Thanks BB - I will handle her more too.
Glenn.
mw-glenn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mania » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:20 pm

I heard this in the one pet shop i went into and they said wear a shirt for a whole day that you sweated in and then throw the shirt in the cage and leave it there for the night then take it out the next day and put another one in that night and keep doing this for about a week if not a bit longer and she should calm down and get use to your smell. Not sure if it works because haven't tried it but you can only try and see.

Cheers
Wayne
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:48 pm

I heard this in the one pet shop i went into and they said wear a shirt for a whole day that you sweated in and then throw the shirt in the cage and leave it there for the night then take it out the next day and put another one in that night and keep doing this for about a week if not a bit longer and she should calm down and get use to your smell. Not sure if it works because haven't tried it but you can only try and see.

I have tried this to get my snakes used to my GF smell and it worked,they used to be fine when i handle them ( we all live in the same room) but when she touched them they would start to hiss,after leaving her shirt in there for a couple of days they were fine with her aswell,so it is worth a shot im my book!
Good luck
DAN
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mw-glenn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 pm

Pretty logical idea I suppose. Will definatley give it a bash. But being a sweaty drummer it may have the opposite effect ;)
Glenn.
mw-glenn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm

Pretty logical idea I suppose. Will definatley give it a bash. But being a sweaty drummer it may have the opposite effect

LOL :D
DAN
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dentech » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:59 am

I think she may be hungry - two rats a week for a 15 kilo snake is a tight diet. At her size I would feed her rabbits.
Dentech
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)