Betty's Bay Berg Adder

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Betty's Bay Berg Adder

Postby armata » Tue May 08, 2007 9:34 pm

Betty's Bay Berg Adder (Koggelberg NR).
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby dendroaspis » Tue May 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Very impressive.
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 09, 2007 9:19 am

That is really pretty. Is the population still healthy there? What is the development like in that area?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby armata » Wed May 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Luckily Kogelberg NR is huge, but suffered a bad fire last year. The coastal development goes on at a pace, even blasting sides of hills so can build on level ground. Pringles bay to Klienmond seem particularly buggered up.
armata

Postby dave » Wed May 09, 2007 10:12 pm

stunning little bugger :cool:
dave
SA Reptiles Member

Postby exanthematicus » Wed May 09, 2007 11:21 pm

whats the scientific name on that little beauty?
christian nelsen.
exanthematicus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Wed May 09, 2007 11:58 pm

Bitis atropos (its an imm male)
armata

Postby exanthematicus » Thu May 10, 2007 5:59 pm

nice, thanks.
christian nelsen.
exanthematicus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sun May 13, 2007 2:02 am

Great Animal, Great Find!
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:51 pm

I believe the xanthic Berg Adder at Cango Wildlife Ranch died. Very sad.

Perhaps some of the locals can shed some light?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rubida » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi Rob, jumped the gun there now!

Yes, unfortunately that’s true. It died last week Friday…sad is an understatement…its heart breaking! Especially, after it has been doing so well the last six years at the Ranch.

I really wanted to keep it quite for a while so that I can come to a decent conclusion before I posted any information on its death…but since you brought it up I will start from the beginning and share what I know from the PM.

I introduced four specimens (including xanthic) earlier this year into one of the public exhibits in the reptile house which provided the most ideal conditions for this species out of available space. So….things went just 100%! The xanthic started mating like its going out of season and the females done their part. It’s just after the last recorded mating that things started going wrong.

I few days later I noticed that the xanthics hemipenises started to swell severely. I tube him to inspect and further noticed that randomly under a few scales small granular growths started to develop under the skin…panic stations 911 kicked in! Various reptile Vets were contacted in SA to consult our zoo vet on possible treatments. A private keeper with years of experience concerning the husbandry of this species was also consulted. A consensus was reach and treatment was started. Three weeks later and it seemed that he was reacting positively towards the treatment and started eating again.

On Thursday the 25th of October when I returned to the Ranch after my leave period I noticed that he was extremely ataxic. Vets were consulted again, but with no luck. Friday morning he died…

A complete PM was conducted and I received this week the following results back. It was morphological diagnosed with visceral and renal gout. What would possible have caused it is still not pinned down 100% as there is to many etc. etc. etc included in the report. Some of the causes for the gout that was brought forward were renal disease/ failure, high protein diets etc. This is all that I can mention now as I myself still need to consult further with our vet(s) and other sources. Once I have all the facts, including treatment and medication, I will post it on this forum as record for others that may one day (hopefully never) have a specimen suffering from the same condition.

In conclusion the most frustrating thing of all was when I phoned some private keepers for advice is that almost none of them are keeping proper husbandry and medical records of what’s happening with their animals. Specimens which died are not diagnosed and just become another animal in the collection… another unknown death without any information which might have indicated something of note. That’s why I always will stress the point of keeping proper records and if something died send it in for a proper PM and record the findings as it might help someday to solve the puzzle.

Photo showing the swelling developing at the hemi penises.

In memory of the little male (caught in the action of things…)

I apologise for the grammar/ spelling as the brain this time of the night are on strike in the second language department.
For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:55 am

That is never nice. Well at least he went out in a blaze of glory. Hopefully he was the only male in that exhibit and that the babies born will be his offspring.

I have been told that the gout is caused by over feeding and only becomes apparent during times of stress. Trying to mate with multiple females is stressful (dont ask me how I know) and this could have just been too much for him.

Not everyone can afford an autopsy and many of those will not actually give you the correct answer. In 10 snakes from various collections autopsied at a leading laboratory, over a period of 2 years, every single one was diagnosed with septacemia. That makes me wonder about the value of spending all that money for the same answer. Not one had anything else recorded wrong with them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:00 am

So sorry to hear about this Rubida at least the snake had top class attention right to the end. Let's hope his genes are passed on and he is revived through future generations. Holding thumbs with that one.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:59 pm

Sorry for letting the cat out the bag prematurely. Suppose it wouldve been fair to PM first.

Very sad news that. Im very happy i got to see him myself a week before he passed on though. Wouldnt have let myself forget that one.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:46 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss. Just remember that you did what you could and that the little guy had a good and caring life.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive