About Pythonodipsas carinata

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

About Pythonodipsas carinata

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:17 am

Hi guys.

Got a copy of a new book by B.Branch and as in the previous editions the same old photo of the western keeled snake caught the eye.
Can we discuss this species please cause ive always found it to be a mysterious and a fascinating part of Southern Africa's splendour.

Anyone lucky enough to have encountered this snake in Namibia?
Just awesome I say.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mm069 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:58 am

There is someone on this forum who has one captive, ironically his name is also Pythonodipsas. Isn't that wierd? ;) anyway here's the link:

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewt ... t=namesake
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi gaboon69, most of the observations I have made about these snakes, are in the post that mm069 mentioned above.

I will try take more pics this weekend. I must say it is difficult to photograph as it won't sit still for long at all.

It is one of my favorite species. After trying really hard, I have still to find one in the wild. I even searched most of the known museum localities, but with no luck.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby alexander » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:50 pm

A group of people went to namibia about 2 years ago and found an Anchieta's dwarf python, black mamba and 2 of these Western Keeled snakes.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:05 pm

gaboon69, technically this is a venomous exotic. But thats debatable.

Alexander, I have since found out that there is a locality that always produces (I have never been there). It is only known to a few museum herpetologists.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby alexander » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:43 pm

well they didn't go there to look for snakes, but for plants or something.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 pm

oh ok.
`
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby mm069 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:27 am

Pythonodipsas where and how did you get your speciemen anyway? It's not the most common snake in the world...
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:32 am

There was a big reptile show in Durban in 2003 I think...or was it 2004? Anyway I met a guy there from Pinetown that keeps and breeds a lot of obscure snakes including some Namibian species. I am not sure how he got the snake. He wasn't advertising the fact but he overheard me talking about them, and approached me.
`
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Mongoose » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:59 pm

I know Maruis Burger used to keep a pair very many years ago...
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:53 pm

I wonder if they ever bred? I wonder what happened to them?
`
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

mmm

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:06 am

They have a look Ive never seen in any snake.
Ill check the article.
Thanks Pythonodipsas,so since they are technically exotic,then why havnt we seen some hatchlings yet? :(
Why havnt I ever seen one in a snake park?ps:I went down to a snake park I had fond childhood memories off,and it was a sorry site.

Pics would be appreciated PLEASE PLEASE!!! :-P
After having seen that pic on the proatheris on the site the other day,I was blown away :shock: so is there a chance that we can top that with some pythonodipsas pics?
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:13 am

We are in need of a good Southern African reptile bible.Ive read almost all,and I dont feel they are satisfying enough.
Why dont we start an SA Reptiles photo and expert club to compile our own 'Sa Reptiles' book?
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rubida » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:52 am

Why dont we start an SA Reptiles photo and expert club to compile our own 'Sa Reptiles' book?

You should rather propose that more in suite ecological research be conducted. :D Ask armata and he will probably tell you the same thing. Even our common species, which some of them are medically important, we don’t know much about their population dynamics, home ranges, habitat preferences etc…
For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Finally got around to taking some pics. Someone wanted to see my setup and so here it is.

The snake is hard to photograph because it hates being handled. In the cage, I found it out from under cover during the day this weekend and took the opportunity to snap some pics before it slid under cover.

Hope you like!
`
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Next

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes