Question about temps for a corn snake

Question about temps for a corn snake

Postby Taryn7 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:09 pm

Hi all

I just wanted to know if I need a heating pad for my new little corn snake now that its summer? I have read that temps should be 25 - 30 degrees but the pet shop said I should just use heat at night. My room does get really hot during the day in summer. Thanks alot
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:13 pm

- Topic moved -

It depends on your cage temperature. Monitor and have a look at the low/ high temperatures of the day. All my cages are temp controlled with thermostats. They do go on in summer, but my flat tends to get rather cold at night.

You could probably leave the pad out for now. If the snake gurges, feels cold or doesn't eat your temps are not high enough.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Taryn7 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:31 pm

Thanks Pinky..

I measured the temps today and they started off at 18.9 c and eventually got to 20 degrees. Isint this too low? When I pick her up she feels pretty cold to me. I have her in a smallish container - like the ones on the side of the road until shes bigger and can move to the tank I have for her.
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:52 pm

Yup. That's too cold. Even if she does take food, she will probably regurgitate. 27 is a nice temp to aim for. How big is the cage you have her in? One of those small heating pads should do the job nicely. There is a risk of overheating on warm days though. If you can afford it, get a thermostat. It gives you that piece of mind.

Just remember to get someone who knows a bit about electrics to put it all together. You wouldn't want it all to go up in smoke.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Taryn7 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Its small - 36 cms long and 28 wide. They said that would be fine because she would get stressed in anything too big. I have a 90 cm long for when shes bigger.

I'll look into getting a thermostat. The heating pad I have covers half her container.

Dont worry about the wiring - my boyfriend did it and he has 7 snakes of his own. Also he wired all 3 beardie cages in my bedroom so I'm sure it'll be ok! (At least I hope so) :D
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)