gecko on lesotho border...any ID?

Postby Trayton » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:36 pm

P.vansoni

I really don't think so but i found three geckos that i can't figure out what they are either! wiil post pics soon.
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:28 pm

Nice one. I don't think any identification should be based purely on distribution - it is after all the aim of SARCA to see where things occur. Unfortunately, other methods aren't necessarily possible.

I would guess P.affinis (Northern Lesotho is very much like the grassy highveld they are normally found in). The emphasis is on on GUESS not on affinis! Where is a lizzard book when you need it?
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Trayton » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:35 pm

Here are those pics (this is not to jack the post but to add to it,these are just more examples of how variable South african geckos are!)

Pachydactylus Vansoni.

Pachydactylus Vansoni? Tigrinis?(some specimens retain juvenile markings and are light!)
Now that i think about it,looks more like Vansoni.

Pachydactylus Vansoni? Capensis?

If these are all P.Vansoni they were all out of range according to Branch.(Field Guide to snakes and other reptiles of Southern Africa)

Walked in on the second and third geckos mating last night :shock: .
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:45 pm

Branchs maps are outdated....found many many species out of range before. But i am not a gecko expert, thats why i posted lol. Yeah those pics are confusing....makes heretology fun though. AND YOU HYBRIDIZING geckos!!!! bastard!!!! haha joking
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trayton » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:41 pm

AND YOU HYBRIDIZING geckos!!!! bastard!!!! haha joking

Hey a gecko man's gotta do what a gecko man's gotta do!

His distribution maps aren't very clear either...so watch out...these geckos could be anywhere :twisted:
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Free State