Eastern Tiger Snake/Telescopus s.s.

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Eastern Tiger Snake/Telescopus s.s.

Postby MV » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:04 pm

Hey guys,

I got a young Tiger the other day, (male by the looks of it, 4-5 months old). I was visiting a friend and saw his little brother with the snake in a plastic tub, he said he's been keeping it for a month or so (wild caught) but the snake was in terrible condition.

I took it from him and started it out on little geckos...he seem's to be getting better, I know I'm not supposed to be keeping this snake :oops: , but I'm trying to get hold of a permit.

Any one know of a female for sale? I'd like to start breeding them, as they're taking a hit in our area by irrisponsible "collectors" :evil: ...I'd like to see more of them sold in pet shops, and less caught in the wild.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Unfortunately, once a snake was obtained "illegally" it is impossible to get a permit for it. If it was caught on a catching permit and donated to you, that could be another story.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:12 pm

Could one of the mods or admin perhaps move this to venomous as they have venom glands and can therefore not be classified as non venomous.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:33 pm

Moved BV

You cannot get this animal on permit so what I would suggest is that you get it back to full health and then think about letting it go again. How lomng it will take to be completely healthy would be up to you. If you feel that it might take years then so be it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby MV » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 pm

why the hell did I post in non-venomous...not all right "up there"...hehehe.

Well I figured it would be like that. So I'm gonna go on your advise BV, He's almost good to go, right after his next shed I'll take him to my stepdad's place...excelent farm to release snakes at...3000 Ha of mountain, flats and river...its like paradise for them...and for me...hehehe!!!

thanx guys, plz keep me posted if any tiger snakes come up for sale.
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jackspirko » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:56 pm

For everyone harping on the getting the snake BEFORE the permit issue I just have to ask......

Why do you think it is necessary to tell the government that you have the snake when you request the permit? Why not get the permit and just keep your mouth shut about the existing snake? If anyone ever checked on you after the permit how would they know when you got the snake? I mean does the snake have an "acquired on date" stamped on its belly?

One thing common in governments be they in the US, in Africa or anywhere is they like to put their noses deep into the business of private individuals. There is a place for government and law enforcement, etc. But damn if a man wants to keep a common snake properly give him a break.

We do in some states have very similar government interference here in the US too, don't think your government has a monopoly on being invasive and heavy handed in areas they really don't understand or belong in.
Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the
African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.
jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:34 pm

Because the snake has to be legally donated to you, and the person donating this snake has to sign your permit or something along those lines.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:30 pm

Jackspirko. To get a permit you have to tell the government where you are getting the snake from and they want to have you prove that it is a legal source.

Theoretically you could get a permit for a baby tigersnake and then release it and keep the big one. The drawback is if the baby is not from that area genetic contamination can take place.

These permits usually have to be renuwed every two years and they often come to check if you still have the animals and only those animals.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby jackspirko » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:59 am

Wow! Thanks for the info BV.

All I can say is Thank God for the liberty we enjoy in the US. I do hope my contrymen wake up to the erosion of liberty we are allowing before someone starts showing up at my house to count garters and corns.
Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the
African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.
jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes