Puff adder kills yorkshire terrier

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Postby mm069 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:16 pm

Back the topic of dogs, is it not possible to train dogs to NOT attack snakes. I mean I trained my border collie over years (sure he was a bc, they're smart) to sit and stay and down with hand signals. I am 100% confident that if he were still around (no he was not killed by a snake) he would not hesitate to listen to me and come instead of fighting with a snake.

I know it is a stuff up when something you love comes into contact with a deadly reptile, but perhaps there is some sort of solution besides letting them kill each other.
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:51 pm

Many dogs are trained to be snake proof. When they see or smell a snake they freeze and point (with their nose) or bark and back away.

Recently a friend was asked to go remove some snakes from a property. We asked the lady to keep and eye on the two Rinkhals she was complaining about. When my friend got there she was inside having a cup of tea. She said the dogs would find the snakes. When they got the command within a few minutes they had tracked them down. A short dig at each hole and out came the Rinkhals as promised.

I would love to have dogs trained to find snakes and just point them out. It would save a lot of time with all these callouts where the snake has moved away.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:31 pm

mm069 wrote:Back the topic of dogs, is it not possible to train dogs to NOT attack snakes.

I had a fox terrier called Nikki.
She was my right hand in farming snakes.
No probs at all, she grew up with them.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mm069 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:09 am

Bushviper wrote:I would love to have dogs trained to find snakes and just point them out. It would save a lot of time with all these callouts where the snake has moved away.

LOL@BV, that's what I mean though. A dog should know how to react to the snake, then everyone is better off.
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:36 am

Yesterday a mamba bit & killed 4 dogs.

The dogs died within a few minutes but what was most amazing was that "mango worms" started crawling out of the dogs as they lay dying! It was kinda disgusting but fascinating at the same time :shock:
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SarkkaS » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:52 am

Mango worms?

Sad things happen, but that's life.

-Sale
Sauli Särkkä
SarkkaS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:23 am

Mango worms are caused by the Putsi fly. In very hot area's the fly lays its eggs on towels, nappies etc hanging on the washing line or in the case of dogs, directly onto the skin/hair.

I have seen babies with dozens of worms under the skin of their bottoms, you have to wait for it to get a black head then squeeze it out

Clifton had one in his foot, it was sooo disgusting, we could see it moving under his skin. When we squeezed it this fat , juicy white worm came out.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dendroaspis » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:25 am

You get them in Hoedspruit quite often as well. The clothing hung out to dry must be ironed afterwards.
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SarkkaS » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Ergh..

-Sale
Sauli Särkkä
SarkkaS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:54 pm

I had one of those mango worms while in Swaziland. Quite painfull to squeeze them out. They look just like a maggot. And they create what looks just like a huge open zit. And if you squeeze it the worm pops out.

Africa is not for sissies they say
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:26 pm

They are also common in Zimbabwe. Many kids end up with a mango worm in the bum from not ironing under the hems.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gaboon69 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:20 am

Guess who joined the mango club......
Any ointments u would advise?
Disgusting :D
BIG question please!
Do they inevitably get out of your system by themselves?
I know this is dodge, but it aint out!!!!haha :D
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urizen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:45 am

That is disturbing and super cool at the same time...parasites are pretty amazing,viruses even more so.
Urizen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:56 am

aah thanks mate--u make me feel so much better--my own little parasite..
Its a Swaziland tatoo I tell you!
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:30 am

Gaboon it is possible to have it surgically removed but it is not life threatening or dangerous. The more you stress it the more it will move around and destroy tissue. It will pop up by itself because you are just a host for a part of its life cycle. It cannot survive and stay in your body like other parasitic worms such as round worm or tape worm. This is just a fly maggot.

You can put cream/ointment on to stop secondary infection and to help the damaged tissue to heal. Keep the area clean and possibly place a gauze strip over it. That way you can catch the maggot and go fishing with it as well.

I would suggest Polysporin or Bactroban. If it is good enough for my snakes it is good enough for me.

Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Venom Club