Adult corn not eating

Adult corn not eating

Postby katesmith » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Im looking after an adult corn. think he's about 3 years now, not sure. He has no desire to eat. He has a enteritis a few weeks ago and had a parasite flush last month,but hasn't eaten since i got him on the 15 Nov. anything i can try? I've tried feeding live and dead. SHould i take him to the vet to be force fed?
any advice appreciated. email bad_girl_to@hotmail.com
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:10 am

If I look at the time line this animals had enteritis a month ago (ie 15 nov) and a week later was flushed for parasites. Since then it has not eaten. I hope that sequence is in the correct order or else the parasite flush gave him enteritis and that is a different ball game.

This snake needs some probiotics in the stomach. This can be in the form of Reptimed Introboost or else Interflora or even WellB yoghurt. This introduced into the stomach via a tube with some fluids and electrolytes twice a week should get him back on track.

The vet can also inject him with some Phosamine and give him a small dose of Flagyl which for some reason stimulates the appetite.

Wait about 10 to 14 days after starting any of the above treatments and if he is not eating on his own contact one of us to force feed him at your home. Transporting a snake which does not want to eat just after he has been force fed will probably lead to the food being regurgitated which is far worse than just leaving him be.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby katesmith » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:21 pm

good news. he ate! i took him out on the lawn for about half an hour and then offered him a dead mouse and he took it immediately, so he is on the up. thanks bushviper!
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Graeme » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:52 pm

BV gets all the chicks.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 am

yeah!sucks! :lol:

If the snake does'nt shed after exactly 48 hours from now then G or myself will have to come out there and help you to solve this dreadful problem.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:18 am

Katesmith glad to help. Hopefully he will keep it down and pick up condition.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)