Curious... Who else has a photo like THIS

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Postby Troechka » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:40 am

Austin Stevens got bitten by a snouted cobra back in the day whilst working at Hartbeestpoortdam for Jack Seal.
They were trying to raise funds so they could buy a female gorilla or chimp (can't remeber) for the "lone male". He did this by "cage sitting" Not excatly sure but hey had about 32 or so venomous snakes in the confined space where he did the "sit in"

News reporters went in one day to speak to him and to take photographs. Just as they snapped a shot the cobra on his lap gave him a bite to his fore arm...(They had the actual bite photograph in the news paper).. You can also see it in his book...snakes in my bed
Troechka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Q Ball » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Ja, I read the book but it is very old. The responsible snake was still called an Egyptian Cobra. If memory serves me correct, it was 28 N. annulifera and then some others......
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:13 pm

No wonder, Im not surprised.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:08 pm

BV I totally agree!

I dont condone letting a snake poisonous or otherwise chew on you for the glory or the photograph!!! :shock:

I mean photographs of oppertunity like you said... sorry I should have been more specific :oops:

That grass snake got me as I put my hands into the bag to get him out, and my friend was all ready waiting with the camera to take a pic of him...
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Souggy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:49 am

Urgh... I can testify for the garter snake bites. The consequence wasn't serious for me, but with colubrids that are said to have more potent venom... you might end up more than a swollen bite site.
Souggy
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes