Xmass a bit early [B. cornuta babies]

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Postby phobos » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:09 pm

Yikes....sorry about the triple post....I hate when that happens :-?
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:29 pm

Good luck, please let us know how they do.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby phobos » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:10 pm

Last night I offered pinks to everybody, only one that eat before ate again. One that had not eaten since birth took a pinky. Since it's the weekend I will have extra time to work on them, including getting some live small pinks to try.

Al
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:51 pm

WEST - Good going, it is a large clutch. Havent heard of larger for cornuta. 12 live, along with the 2 stillborn and 2 slugs makes it a large clutch.

AL - How big was she?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Baby update

Postby phobos » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:31 pm

Well I'm down to 8 from 12

Found one dead yearterday and one today. One died a few days ago when I checked an see who are the f/t pink after tease feeding. I guess it stressed out..

Two of the remaining are good to excellent feeders and the remaining 6 rage from poor to good

Cheers!

Al
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:51 am

These little adders are inclined to do that. My opinion is that the ones that are not feeding on mice should be fed small lizards until they take mice voluntarily.

I know everyone wants them to eat mice but if the choice is a dead mouse feeding snake or a live lizard feeder then I know what my choice would be.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby phobos » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:04 pm

Yes, I've been trying that...the problem is finding lizards small enough.

Now there are 7
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:31 pm

Get baby anolis from Florida. They still have some small enough even at this time of the year. Postage and a few lizards does not cost that much and you can have them by the next day.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby phobos » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:10 pm

Bushviper wrote:Get baby anolis from Florida. They still have some small enough even at this time of the year. Postage and a few lizards does not cost that much and you can have them by the next day.

I have them already and house geckos too. I bought a supply in advance of the birth since I know how difficult these guys are to feed. They are just being defensive and not eating once they kill it.
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Okay I give up.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:00 pm

If they dont eat, threaten them with a gun. haha

Seriously I have a friend in the USA who used to breed xeropaga and cornuta every year for many years.

All his offspring he would forcefeed pink bits until they took pinks voluntarily. Six months of forcefeeding was the average before most took by themselves. He lost very few babies this way.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Sorry my friends...

Postby Horned Adder » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:23 am

I still think the best way is to use Hill's A/D for the first weeks until they have grown a little bit and are really prepared to ''handle'' pinky mice. I think they should have shed twice at least before they'll really be ok for baby mice.

Even if they accept mice from the beginning, it's not good to feed them with pinkies - it's too much of stress and they often get digestive problems and die very soon within the first 4-8 weeks. At least from my experience.

It's the safest method, and very stress-free for the little babies....I am very sure Phobos wouldn't have lost so many Babies if he would have used this method for the first and most important weeks of their ''Baby-life''. I can't proof it of course, but I am very sure about it.

I'am very very sorry for your lost Al, it's always a tragedy - but especially then when we work with such wunderfull and rare little snakes like Dwarf Adders - I feel with you Al :roll:

Just my two cents

Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:49 pm

I cannot see where you have stated - but i assume that they are all now separate?
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Hey Al how are the babies doing?
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

@Rob

Postby Horned Adder » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:15 pm

As far as I know he lost 10 of 12 of his Babies..... :( very very tragic for Al, can feel with him... :roll:

But I am very sure most still could be alive if the force feeding method would have been another one...pinkies or parts of pinkies are NOT the method of choice from my experience. NOT for baby Dwarf Adders....

And I have had many babies from peringueyi and caudalis, and the only one I have lost, had a spine damage....but even this one survived about 3 months or so.

Maybe next time he should try it different, I whish him best luck for it !

Cheers
Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Active archive