Cape Rinkhals?

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Cape Rinkhals?

Postby alexander » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has spotted a Rhinkals in the cape recently? They haven't been seen for 5 years. It would be nice to 'rediscover' them :D.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:05 am

Alexander I remember last year october while doing a course Armata presented, a german chap that owns a B&B in Gordons Bay had a pic on his camera of one that a took a week before the course in his garden, he said its the second one he has seen. So it seems as if there might be more, as the area above Gordons Bay and Steenbras dam is an excellent habitat for Rinkhals, and also not much if any human traffic. I will try and get a hold of his details and get an update.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:03 am

The worst of this statement is that if you read books by some of the old guys then Rinkhals were common in the cape. Walter Rose even mentions that he found one with 17 toads in it on the Cape Flats. They seem to have also been common at the Race course although I am pretty sure they have been wiped out there.

I wonder if the same will be said of Midrand in years to come?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:10 am

[quote="Bushviper"]They seem to have also been common at the Race course although I am pretty sure they have been wiped out there.
quote]

I would agree with you BV however there are a large area there thats not accessible, Im wondering, just maybe, but Id like to find out a bit more of that area, I think its a Conservation area. The Race course you are referring to would be the Milnerton area? thats been cleared and its now residential area, the Killarney area used to be an area where Rinkhals could be found, but that too has gone the route of development.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:25 am

Yes I was referring to the Milnerton area. Pity that it was so developed that nothing remained. Possibly a bit further inland and north although I assume the Cape cobras will have eaten them all.

Try chatting to some of the old hands like John Spence and John Visser because they may have some localities that might still exist.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby alexander » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm

There is a conservation area for milnerton at the M. racecourse. I only found two skaapstekers and its quite small, but they do have some small buck. I'm wondering if you are talking of Kenilworth racecourse because thats where there used to be lots of them, up to five years ago. There are many natural areas in the Cape (Although not enough to protect our flora) and i'm wondering if they were possibly restricted to the flats?
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:11 am

Alexander, the known Rinkhals "colony" was around the milnerton Killarney area, and that habitat has basically been destroyed by development. If you continue out towards Melkbos, just after that hospital on your right on the west Coast road there is what I think is a conservation area, has anybody been in there yet? its just outside parklands. I think if ever they would be found in the area, it would probably be there.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:34 am

Ok, but there was also a small colony at Kenilworth. You mean the Blouberg conservation site? Lots of it is under aliens, but there is some good veld there. Lots of molesnakes and cobras there.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nivea » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:51 am

Hi live just down the road from the blouberg hill reserve. I get alot of call-outs from the area and not once have i caught a Rinkhals. based on that i would assume that there aren't any in the area.

The only place that i know of Rinkhals been caught or spotted in recent time is between Gordan's bay and Grabouw.
Nivea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:54 am

That is so sad. Such a prolific species being wiped out by aliens, both human and vegetation.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Nivea wrote: The only place that i know of Rinkhals been caught or spotted in recent time is between Gordan's bay and Grabouw.

Thats where that chap found 1, seeing as there the population in Milnerton has been wiped out, how feasible would it be for the species to be reintroduced to the area from another province? can it be done? there shouldnt be that much concern about genetics etc, and seeing that the closest known Rinkhals is in Gordans Bay, halfway across the peninsula.

What are your views?
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:46 pm

I don't think they are extinct in the southern cape, just very low numbers, and we wiould never know if there aren't any, so thats not a good idea, and if its good enough, i'm sure they could re-establish slowly.
Thats why i think it would be fun to do some reptile traps ect in the places where they used to be.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:50 pm

So Alexander, have you done this sort of thing before? Im new to the herping thingy so Im clueless, that idea of yours sounds like an excellent idea. Im sure there are many peeps that would like to get involved, what you think?
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Well, i've been on SARCA twice. I'm sure some will be interested in doing it, as well as some of the reserve managers.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Fantastic.
Is there any particular permits etc thats required? I am interested in helping out. What is the way forward?
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Active archive