My new snakelet

My new snakelet

Postby Taryn7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:38 pm

I just had to. I was going to wait for SOS but when you have an addiction - you can't wait so long for your next fix!!

Here is my new Ghost Corn - Kelloggs. (Please tell me she is a Ghost and not a normal like my normal who I was told was a Miami) :D

And heres a pic of Mia - my Amel girl..

And Levi my NORMAL :D (You can see in the second pic - he is gettin his 'normal' colours..

Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:52 pm

Congrats Taryn. The snake bug has clearly bit. :D Up until just recently you only had beardies didn't you? Congrats on the new baby! I won't venture and opinion on any of your morphs because I don't know enough about corns.
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:57 pm

Thanks!!

Yeah I only got Mia around August or September last year, then Levi in November and now Kelloggs..

My boyfriend has had boas and ball pythons since we met 3 years ago but now the bug has bitten me!

Still love the beardies though!!
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:55 am

Yes that looks like a ghost to me.

You should really look at buying from reputable breeders of which there are a good number on this forum. If people are going to be doing you in with visable morphs then whatever you do dont try bargaining on hets because that is a totally different minefield.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Taryn7 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:36 am

I'm not too interested in looking for hets and things at this point - I may never even breed. I'm just looking to get a variety of colours because I think they are such pretty snakes. The place I got the normal from has a website so i figured i was pretty safe seeing as they advertised them as Miamis.. Anyway - I have sent them a few emails which have been completely ignored so I'm pretty irritated! Then this place I found the ghost had advertised them so I went 2 look - I could see they weren't normals..
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:46 am

Well be careful if you go to the SOS expo unless you have lots of money and lots of empty cages. There you see stuff that is easy to identify as different and it makes your eyes pop out.

Go search various morphs and read up what you can about why they are different. That way you will not be suckered again.

Try comparing your "miami" with the recent ones posted on this forum. World of difference.

Even "normal" corns have their own charm so pick any snake you like looking at. If it is not a rare or unique morph then so be it. You must keep the snakes you like and not the ones other people like.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Michelle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 am

Congrats Taryn! They are all beautiful.
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks Michelle! I'm probably only going to get one more for now - preferably a male. Looking at something with yellow like a butter but i heard they are not good eaters? my normal has the best personality - such an escape artist! I really don't mind that he is a normal - he is great!
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:24 pm

Gorgeous snakelet! Definitely a ghost! :D She's lovely!

Other snakes are stunning too! :D
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:25 pm

My butter is an absolute pig! lol Never had any problems with him! Just be careful where you get one from. ANY morph would have potential problems if from the wrong place. :)
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:30 pm

Taryn7 wrote:I'm not too interested in looking for hets and things at this point - I may never even breed. I'm just looking to get a variety of colours because I think they are such pretty snakes. The place I got the normal from has a website so i figured i was pretty safe seeing as they advertised them as Miamis.. Anyway - I have sent them a few emails which have been completely ignored so I'm pretty irritated! Then this place I found the ghost had advertised them so I went 2 look - I could see they weren't normals..

Unfortunately, having a website doesn't mean you know everything... often times what happens is that those people were sold the parents as "miamis" when they are clearly not and the breeder just doesn't know any different.

I've seen a "REVERSE OKEETEE" on a website that was clearly a regular amel and frankly, a pretty dull one at that. Nowhere NEAR what a true RO should look like.

The confusion seems to happen especially with morphs that are bred to have a certain "look"...technically candy canes and reverse okeetees are just amels genetically but they have been specifically bred to enhance a certain look, the same with miamis, Okeetee and normals, genetically they are all just normals but they originally had slightly different looks according to where they were found in the wild. Through selective and dedicated breeding, they have been enhanced.

PS: I have a normal and he's WONDERFUL!! lol Mean as sin though!
~Meg~

Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chantel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Taryn, your corns are stunning! And your normal sure is getting prettier and prettier - he's going to be a very good looking normal when he grows up!

And, don't worry, that is definately a ghost. Very, very cute!

Who said Butters are bad eaters? That's definately a bit of a generalisation. My butters all do exceptionally well, and eat right from day one.
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks guys - this genetics thing is very confusing. I think the next corn I buy , I will buy because he looks so different theres no chance he is a normal!! :D

I don't have anything against normals - I just want something different!!

The guy I bought the ghost from said butters are bad eaters. But I don't listen to anyone these days unless they have had experience ( like Chantel and Irock).

I can't wait for them all to grow a bit so I can see how they turn out.
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:42 pm

I know what you mean Taryn! :) I like normals but I have a bit of everything in my collection, I love the vast variety of colours corns come in! :)

I got my butter from Chantel and, as I said, I haven't had a second's trouble with him. :)
~Meg~

Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)