Gecko for Mangrove system

Gecko for Mangrove system

Postby Desai » Mon May 26, 2008 11:14 am

Howzit guys. I was wondering if anyone could please help me.

I would like to create a mangrove palaudarium. The water section will be quite deep as I would like to keep brackish water eels and maybe a puffer. Are there any arboreal geckos that live in mangrove forests available? I have searched google and did find certain species that inhabit mangroves but I am not too sure if they are available in captivity.

Help is greatly appreciated
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 26, 2008 11:21 am

Even the Tropical house gecko would survive in a large enough palaudarium. Those you can go catch in your neighbourhood.

If the area above the water is not going to be sopping wet and have decent ventilation with lots of hiding places and some hot spots you could quite easily keep some Tokay geckos. A pair would do well in any area of a few cubic metres with plants to climb on and logs to hide in.

I saw a decent number of them for sale at the last expo. I am sure there are still some around.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Desai » Mon May 26, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks so much BV. Unfortunately I dont think we allowed to keep tokay geckos in Durban : (
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Desai » Mon May 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Sorry one more thing, will leaf tailed or crested geckos do well in a mangrove system?
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 26, 2008 7:02 pm

Crested geckos could live in a fairly moist environment but they need to be kept cool. Even if the water is heated it will become too hot for them. They live on the humid wind swept islands which drops the temperatures rather rapidly.

Leaf tailed geckos might be suitable although I am not sure about their ability to stay in trees over water. I dont think they can swim at all should they fall into the water.

I know of people in Durban who have bred Tokays so the legality would be about as bad as watching TV without a license.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Mon May 26, 2008 9:44 pm

What aspect of a mangrove forest are you trying to achieve? Not sure how well some of these animals would do in a high salinity environment, and as far as I know mangrove forests are estuarine marsh forests.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Desai » Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 am

@Froot: I am not to sure what you mean as 'aspect of mangrove forest'. I just thought it will look cool to set up a mangrove system including mangrove trees and other fauna. I may not go with the deep water as I am also thinking of keeping mudskippers and crabs.

@BV: Hmmm...maybe I will go with the tokay geckos :twisted:
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Tue May 27, 2008 10:43 am

Just a bit of a warning. I've kept crabs and they are not quite as friendly as they look. They might very well hunt mudskippers, and if given the chance I am sure they will take a nip at geckos.

But Fidler crabs are awesome little creatures. Although I have not idea where you'd get them.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby drummer » Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 am

not sure if they are protected but you could just go find some....well here in KZN that is
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Desai » Tue May 27, 2008 11:30 am

Im am also not sure if they are protected. I thought I could just go to the mangrove and collect some :roll:
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Tue May 27, 2008 11:35 am

well technically the mangroves in Durban north are a reserve...so everything is protected inside... but whether the species as a whole is protected i am not sure. Maybe you just need a fishing/bait licence...? Maybe nothing...not sure
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Geckos