Horned Adders

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Horned Adders

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:19 pm

This morning I went to go check on my Horned adder and in the cage I saw 17 babies cruising around.

The mother is the snake that won the beauty pageant this year.

They are really different some have blue in them and others not.

There was a half a one too. He was so deformed I had to euthanase him. He was wriggling around, tried to bite me, flicked his tongue in and out and even started shedding his skin.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Kouthia » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:55 am

nice bv. congrats.
Kouthia
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby phobos » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:46 am

Awesome!! Nice little cuties!

Congrats!!

Al
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake_freak » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:25 am

WOWWW!! lil beauties. Are you gonna sale them or are they for release?
snake_freak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:22 am

Cool well done now to the problem of feeding what are u gonna try iv heard they are tiny when they are born.Shame about the deformed one though but it happens i guess, thanx 4 the cool pics.
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby elapid » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:57 am

congrats BV
You become responsible forever for what you have tamed.
elapid

Postby froot » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:00 am

The most beautiful horned adders I've ever seen. Congrats BV.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Anco » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:18 am

WOW!
Life can like to be lekker
Anco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby phobos » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:40 pm

I've been forcefeeding mine (born Dec 8,2005) every other day, a f/t hopper leg. I use a big spoon to move them about since they will not stay put. I place them on a soft pillow and quickly but gently place my hand down on the whole body to prevent a "death roll". Yes, I use no hook and have not been even close to chomped yet*. The pillow cushions the force used and does not hurt them as pinning will do. I wet the hopper leg with water and gently force the end to the rear of the oral cavity and let them go. I wait and see what they will do next, most will swallow it down, if not and they spit it out, I do it again till it is eaten. Thereafter, I tease feed first in hopes that they catch on, which some do and others don't. Eventually they graduate to taking newborn pinks.

Cheers!

Al

* I feel getting them feeding is worth the chance of getting bitten. Thank god my baby Echis do well on their own from birth, as I would not be using this method on them.. :shock:
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kouthia » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:21 pm

Thanks for the info Phobos. ;-)

We tend to start them off on day geckos and/or house geckos and hopefuly progress to pinks. It certainly helps if you can get your hands on the geckos I suppose.
Kouthia

Postby phobos » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:51 pm

Glad to further the art...

It's hard to find house geckos against the white blanket of snow on the ground in Pennsylvania this time of year. When you do find them they're easy to catch because is only 4 degrees outside. :roll:

The alternate is to forcefeed with a feeding tube and a slurry of dog food. This in my opinion is very risky for the neonate because it's easy to put the tube in the windpipe by mistake and fill it with food. I once accidently killed a neonate Death Adder (A. rugosus) when the canula pierced it esophagus with out me realizing it till I injected 1 ml of food into it's chest cavity. The snake was in obvious distress, so I quickly put it "down" so as not to suffer longer. :cry: Also if they regurgitate this mixture they can aspirate it and die. So I advocate whenever possible to feed parts of mice, rats etc...
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hein » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:27 pm

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stress!! confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living cr@p out of some monkey who really needs it.
hein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:10 pm

Methods guided by experience are most valuable. Thanks for sharing Phobos.
Do you perhaps have any pics of you 'pinning' the little guys down when feeding? Sounds like something that can go horribly wrong if not done correctly.

Ground breaking discussion! Keep it up. ;)
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby phobos » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:38 pm

I don't have any pictures, as I'm the photographer too. I will see what I can do to show the technique online.

Just to be clear, I would not advocate this technique with all venomous snakes. The neonate Death Adder spoken about in one of the above posts is one I would not do it with as with all Elapids. I have a different technique for hotter, more common snakes. The Caudalis are tiny and venom not that toxic, so I take the risk. In America, B. caudalis is rare and I want both these little cuties to make it, so I'll a bite if it means they survive.

Cheers!
Niels Bohr
phobos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:53 am

I have force fed baby Trimeresurus (Pitvipers), Sistrurus (pygmy rattlers) and similar small venomous stuff before so I suppose I can do these again.

I lost about half of the baby horned adders that I force fed in the past, but without geckos I suppose I will have to do this again.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to Active archive