Rain Spider

Rain Spider

Postby Dangaboy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:18 am

Howzit Guys! just wanted to introduce you to Abigail my Rain/Huntsman Spider. About 50% grown by now and in the past 2 months she laid eggs twice. My question is would these eggs hatch without a male being involved?
Dangaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:19 am

Cute spider... Not sure about the eggs.

Welcome to the forum. Where you from?
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Dangaboy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:32 am

Hey Bushbaby! Was getting to the introduction part later. I'm from JHB! I found Abigail in our office last year. You don't get to see many rain spiders around these areas as they are mostly found in the Cape Province and surrounding area. People don't know much about them, so they tend to kill it before making sure that it is a non thread to humans. It is a great spider because the don't spin webs all over the place. They will live in a very small area for most of their lives. If you do keep them as pets, one should go read up about them very carefully. The only thing I cannot get an answer on is the egg issue!
Dangaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:35 am

Don't they carry the egg sacs with them?? We get plenty of them here in Pta. I even have the teachers at my kids school bringing them to me. lol

I just release them. I am not that keen on keeping spiders.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Dangaboy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:44 am

They will normally spin the sack into a corner and sit on it for 2 weeks. Just don't know whether they would hatch. Rain Spiders normally have between 200-300 eggs per sack, so don't want to wait around to see what happens.
Dangaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby morad » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:35 am

Welcome

Nice looking spider there. What do you feed it?

Sean
morad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dangaboy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:49 am

Her favorite insect must be Christmas Beatles. if I don't catch any I would give her crickets or worms. She also likes giant moths!
A pic of her egg sack.
Dangaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi and welcome Dangaboy. Thanks for the pics, great to see interest in our own local spiders. Those eggs look like blanks to me, surely they should be round and supple? I'm really guessing here but if I were you I would look out for a male (not sure how to id one, might look totally different) and try get them to copulate and remove the male immediatly after copulation. Interesting stuff..
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby MAX. » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi Dangaboy yes the eggs will hatch without a male she stores the sperm.
MAX.
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:43 pm

The males are smaller and have large pedipalps which look like miniture legs on either side of the head.

The female will look after the eggs till they hatch. As soon as the babies hatch you can take the whole bunch and release them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rat » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:50 pm

Just happened to speak to a friend last week who lives in Plettenberg Bay. He says they are common there and grow quite large. Looking at the pics they are really nice.

Wouldn't mind one myself....
A star that shines twice as bright, burns out twice as fast.
Rat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dangaboy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:07 am

This weekend she again laid eggs. Max indicated that she stores the sperm. How many times can they lay eggs with the sored sperm? She is now laying eggs at least once a month.
Dangaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:47 am

Dangaboy wrote:Hey Bushbaby! Was getting to the introduction part later. I'm from JHB! I found Abigail in our office last year. You don't get to see many rain spiders around these areas as they are mostly found in the Cape Province and surrounding area.

Ha you havent been to my place then! I have a big creeper on the back wall and the rain spiders seem to have mass orgys in there. We're always getting rain spiders in the house I had to evacuate one this morning and it was a cheeky bugger too kept going for me! Just chucked him back in the creeper - I dont mind them hanging around just so long as they stay outta my bedroom and the bathrooms, wouldnt want to wake up with one of them parking off on your chest :shock:
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dangaboy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:21 am

Just to give you guys an update on what she looks like now!! She eats everything I put in her enclosure. This was taken after she had a nice supper of a beetle and a moth!

Dangaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sean » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:45 am

Very cool, looking nice and chubby
billygoats taste of chicken
Sean
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Next

Return to Other invertebrates