Please help find me some bugs!

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

Please help find me some bugs!

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:33 pm

The admins suggested I post this here, as in the advertisement forum it will disappear quickly.

I'm not able to travel much, stuck in Joburg most of the time...so I have a special request to those who live in warmer areas and/or those who go herping in interesting areas---

I collect/breed carnivorous insects and arachnids and a few other things, and i'm looking for the following-

Mantids - Anything interesting that isn't the common green or brown 'chinese mantid'. Especially looking for Pseudocreobotra wahlbergi (Spiny Flower Mantis, found throughout eastern South Africa). For various species, I will pay up to R20 for adult males, R40 for adult females, or R30/60 for P. wahlbergi.

Stick insects - any arboreal species over 10cm body length. Will pay up to R80 for large females. Pairs if possible so i can reproduce them sexually.

Whipscorpions - any size/species.

Scorpions - Any buthid (thick tail). This includes Uroplectes spp. and Parabuthus spp. (don't need P. transvaalicus). will pay up to R100 for females depending on species. (Please remember, rock scorpions and burrowing scorpions (these have BIG pincers) are illegal to collect). Especially for those of you who head out to the Northwest of SA, please LOOK for Parabuthus spp.!!

Centipedes- looking for large species over 10cm body length. Just turn over a rock and you'll likely find one.

Pill-millipedes and/or millipedes that aren't Archispirostreptus gigas--- looking for any interesting colored millipede that isn't the 'giant' shongololo (or whatever you call it).

Widows/Button spiders - Anything that isn't Latrodectus geometricus (brown button spider). Please pay attention for males on/near female's webbing..they are VERY small, but would aid in breeding this species.

Jumping spiders- any species, but would want several before shipping.

Other--- if you see/find something just plain weird...

What I am NOT looking for - Orbweavers, kite spiders, wolf spiders, rain spiders ...

Please just keep your eyes out for these critters, in your backyard, farm, or at holiday destinations. I will pay for cost of bugs and shipping. Also please note specific 'conditions' you found each critter in, (ie: if it's a stick insect, what kind of tree was it living on?)

Contact me matt@sainverts or reply here if you can help or if you have found something!!
Remember, i'm that 'someone' who wants these things that you probably overlook!! :):)

EDIT: See the "TOPS" list in this forum for illegal-to-collect species.
Tarantulas, scorpions, invertebrates for sale (In South Africa!!):
http://www.SAinverts.com

Always looking for trades, breeding loans, mature males, scorpions and centipedes. PM me!!
Looking for the following bugs! - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11555
Ice Cold Milk
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: Please help find me some bugs!

Postby armata » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:05 pm

Would you want GPS? or just general location and habitat.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:19 pm

I just need the general habitat.

I guess to be more clear---

Anything carnivorous you don't really need to take note of habitat. It's pretty easy to guess what kind of habitat/setup they need based on body features.
Stick insects, millipedes/pillbugs, though I will need more specific stuff, because they eat particular types of plants and/or decaying matter. Would hate to gather myself a really beautiful adult stick insect, only to kill it within a month because I have no idea what leaves to feed it.

Always looking for trades, breeding loans, mature males, scorpions and centipedes. PM me!!
Ice Cold Milk

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Actually, GPS or area location might as well be helpful (doesn't need to be EXACT, but +/- 50km would be helpful in case the ID isn't known).

Ice Cold Milk

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:44 am

I would love to hear a Yank pronounce shongololo. I will go get some wierd ones just to hear him say it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:03 pm

Shone-go-low-low.

Win-ee-kai-uh.

Sow-woo-bone-guh.

Show show low zuh, show show low zuh!

How-pell-uh!!

Oh ya and forgot to add- I'm also interested in what you locals call "red romans". m/f pairs if possible (males are generally smaller/more slender).

Ice Cold Milk

Postby BushSnake » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Do you need a permit to collect in Gauteng (outside nature reserves), and to import/export from other provinces?

Will see what I can do to help. Last season I found several sunspiders (Solifuge), Parabuthus / Uroplectes and stick insects that would fit the requirements. I am fairly sure you won't need permits for the above mentioned ones collected in Gauteng, but I am not 100% sure.

BTW - what plants do stick insects eat in SA? I had one that accidentally caught a lift from up North, but it wouldn't feed on any indigenous plants I offered him and eventually died?
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:52 pm

Nope unless you are collecting baboon spiders or Flat rock or burrowing scorpions you should be fine. There are a few others that are protected but I cannot think of them off hand.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:27 pm

BushSnake wrote:
BTW - what plants do stick insects eat in SA? I had one that accidentally caught a lift from up North, but it wouldn't feed on any indigenous plants I offered him and eventually died?

Ya, that's why it's important to note where you found it sitting :)
I believe most stick insects will adapt to eating oak, rosebush, or bramble (raspberry/other thorny bush) leaves. But I wouldn't be surprised if some insects are specially adapted to living and feeding on a particular species/genus of tree.

I've had success with some little stick insects which were actually semi-arboreal. They fed on just about any long grass I fed them. All dead now (they don't live long once they are adults sometimes), but have some eggs that might hatch this spring.

Ice Cold Milk

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:20 pm

A little bump... still definitely looking for everything!!
Weather's warming up, so be on the lookout for all the creepy crawlies!!

-=ICM=-

Ice Cold Milk

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Bumping---
Please consider finding inverts while on holiday this year!!

Thank you!

Ps- A little update of what someone found for me so far this year :

D. annulatipes from KZN. i've sucessfully captive bred them now!!

-=ICM=-

Ice Cold Milk

Postby Mitton » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:11 pm

How can you not kiss a face like that??
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:14 pm

F**k dude, i can try organise you whip scorpions but they freak the hell out of me!! I'll be in Natal soon and I always (unfortunately) find dozens. We went out herping 2 weeks back and found mother big scorpions and centipedes!
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:32 pm

Dude when ever we go out we find tons of those whip scorps.
Eish!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Buck Rogers wrote:F**k dude, i can try organise you whip scorpions but they freak the hell out of me!! I'll be in Natal soon and I always (unfortunately) find dozens. We went out herping 2 weeks back and found mother big scorpions and centipedes!

Fooble wrote:Dude when ever we go out we find tons of those whip scorps.
Eish!

Sheesh, looks like some major missed opportunities.
Be sure next time to collect some here and there, if it's on my list in my first post, i want it!! (yes, still looking for more whipscorpions, especially D. variegatus).

Where did you go herpin, Buck?

Ice Cold Milk

Next

Return to Invertebrates