Atheris photos

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Atheris photos

Postby BushSnake » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:32 pm

Never thought I'd post in this category :) I went to photograph some Atheris, in particular the Atheris hispida at a friends house and figured I might just as well post the pics. I have no idea what happened with the automatic resizing, as all the pictures are different sizes now.

Atheris ceratophora- Horned Bush Viper

Atheris hispida- Bristly Bush Viper

Atheris squamigera - Variable Bush Viper

Where do these snakes live in the forests where they occur? Some of the places where they occur (Kakamega, etc) have trees that are 50m and higher, but do the snakes live on top or on the way up, and what do they feed on naturally? Where can I find out a bit more about their habits, etc. Most websites only give data needed for keeping them in captivity.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: Atheris photos

Postby Fooble » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:07 pm

Weirdest looking head of a snake ive seen.
Pretty cool though.
nice
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Alan Hyde » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 am

very nice photos, and lovely snakes too
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm

I was lucky enough to observe both A.hispida and A.squamigera in Kakamega, W.Kenya years ago, they are sympatric but ecologically separated. A.hispida always look underfed compared to A.squamigera. I think A.hispida is mainly a frog feeder where A.squamigera will take small mammals in addition to frogs.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby steve » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:42 pm

Great photos! Very nice snakes indeed.
I’ve never heard of A.hispida to take small mammals of any kind. I think they are predominantly frog feeders, possibly small lizards and geckos too, although even this I have not heard of. I’ve kept them before, but they did not thrive in captivity at all, as much as I tried. Pity because they are lovely looking snakes.
cheers
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Very nice pictures of great snakes. It's been known for a while that Atheris hispida feed on slugs. Robert Meidinger of Costa Rica has bred these snakes and raised babies on slugs. It seems like the predominant food source. I have heard it is the parasite load which often becomes pathogenic under stress and kills these snakes before long. Adequate deworming with a broad spectrum dewormer (fenbendazole [Panacur]) and an anti-amoebic/anti-flagellate (metroinidazole [Flagyl]) should help.

Otherwise i know the owner of these snakes and wish him success with keeping and breeding them.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Echis » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi Armata, what do you think "ecologicaly separated" in A. hispida and A. squamigera in Kakamega. I found only squamigera in Kakamega. It were a babies, which lived on the trees above small pound, where they looked for some Hyperolius. I found a frogs in their GIT. They were in primary forest in dense vegetation in the centre of forest. Where you found A. hispida? Thanks for answer, Tomas.
Echis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:55 am

Hi Tomas
I found A.hispida almost exclusively in reedbeds, mainly papyrus, often perched right on the crown. The slug diet sounds interesting; but no shortage of frogs which I am sure makes up the bulk of the diet.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 am

Interesting how you found them Tony! You are so lucky to have experienced this.

The slug diet was not only dicovered by Robert Meidinger. I think it was first discovered by a keeper in the USA. Subsequently a lot of people caught on and are having more success feeding them slugs than anything else.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby feri » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 pm

very schweet pics, i love the Atheris family.
feri
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic highly venomous snakes