Swartberg

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Swartberg

Postby armata » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Had a nose around the Swartberg rubida & I on Sunday. Twas a 'family' day out so could not spend too much time herping. Anyway was hoping to find red adder. We have yet to find a 'red' one. All so far are patterned and look identical to albanica/armata, although they are definitely separate species. A photo of a male below just to remind you of what they look like.

' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: Swartberg

Postby BushSnake » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:22 pm

I will have to get some help when we vist Swartberg Pass in December. My luck (also known as knowledge) is not up to standards...

Do you find red ones on the Swartberg range? It may sound stupid, but the area is quite black or dull and I would think red coloured adders would be more adapted to areas like Cedarberg, Ceres, etc where the soil and rocks can be quite red. I went there in December 1998, but it might look different this time of year.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby xerophak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:29 pm

excellent! , certainly very similar, but all with her face particular ,are my idols!.

if not found in the town armata ,,,,, ¿ your insurance recognize is rubida " to the naked eye"? lol
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:27 am

Amazing!!! I really hope I can photograph one of these in the wild this season.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby MV » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:23 pm

BushSnake, we HAVE to get one of these!!! Just hold thumbs for me, there is a possibility that my leave might be canceled due to the new guy taking over...
Would be an awesome trip by the looks of the schedule you sent me...

Nice pic armata...one day when I'm big...*sigh*
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:23 am

I found the Swartberg pass to be quite red in parts. Especially on the opposing side to Oudshoorn.
Thanks for sharing the pic TP.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive