Savu Pythons (Liasis Mackloti Savuensis)

Savu Pythons (Liasis Mackloti Savuensis)

Postby Boadicea » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:28 am

Thought I'd post some pics of these beauties. They come from a tiny island called Sawu near Indonesia.They are lovely snakes and no trouble to keep. I got them as babies and they are now starting to show their adult colouration. Anyone else on the forum have any?
They still have a bit of an attitude :)
I'm coming to get you!!!
The one is a lot lighter than the other - terracotta with black speckling
From what I have read the females get darker than the males. So I'm assuming this one is the male. He has a couple of odd whitish marks on his face but I have checked and they look smooth and healthy.
and this is the female
Their eyes are an unusual white colour. Against the darker background of their skin it can be quite striking.
You can see the similarity they have with Mackott's pythons
However they do not get nearly as big as Macklott's.
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Savu Pythons (Liasis Mackloti Savuensis)

Postby Mitton » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:54 am

Very nice, just love the white eyes.
I don't think too many people has these.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:22 am

For years they were considered to be a sub-species of the Macklots pythons. They are very rare on the island where they occur and the favourite place to collect them was a long wall which was made of coral stones. The wild caught ones had the usual parasites and once they started producing these in captivity the problems went away. They are snappy (like macklots) but will calm down as adults. The babies sometimes require lizards to get them going.

The fact that they are less sought after because of their disposition has possibly saved the species in the wild. The collecting in the wild and export seems to have tapered off but whether this is because they are harder to find or because less people want them I am not sure.

They are a very nice small python and fill the gap between the Anteresia group and the Macklots, White lipped and Carpet grouping.

I have only ever been offered wild caught rubbish, so Boadicea if you breed these please bear me in mind.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Boadicea » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:01 pm

@ BV thanks for that detailed background. It really paints a picture of just how small the island is when even the snakes' favourite hangout is limited to one coral wall. I am relieved that the collecting has tapered off. A few of the websites I checked said the snakes were threatened due to collecting for the pet trade.
I always have this dilemma with the rarer species. Am I supporting the 'evil' pet trade in buying them or am I doing a little bit to preserve them when there is the possibility that they could be extinct in a few years?
I will keep you in mind if they breed BV. So far no sign of eggies from them or the Macklott's though. The latter are quite big already so I guess I will have to prepare some rat au vin, light some candles, play soft music and see if they get the hint. :)
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Wow Boadicea, very interesting looking snakes you have. The white in the eyes makes them look way unique... Way cool!

You say you've had them from babies... how long have you had them? & How big a snake will these become?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks fredsmith. I have had them for about 18 months now I think. They do not get very big about metre or so.
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:11 pm

They really are wicked cool. Thanks for sharing, I hope we see more of these guys as they grow.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Bushviper wrote:For years they were considered to be a sub-species of the Macklots pythons. They are very rare on the island where they occur and the favourite place to collect them was a long wall which was made of coral stones. The wild caught ones had the usual parasites and once they started producing these in captivity the problems went away. They are snappy (like macklots) but will calm down as adults. The babies sometimes require lizards to get them going.
They are a very nice small python and fill the gap between the Anteresia group and the Macklots, White lipped and Carpet grouping.

I have only ever been offered wild caught rubbish, so Boadicea if you breed these please bear me in mind.

If one is offered Macklots (or Savu) pythons, how does one distinguish the two from each other?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:27 pm

uncutdiamonds wrote: If one is offered Macklots (or Savu) pythons, how does one distinguish the two from each other?

Savus have silver eyes and are more expensive. The babies are a solid orange brown colour while the Macklots look similar to the parents.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Bushviper wrote:...Savus have silver eyes and are more expensive. The babies are a solid orange brown colour while the Macklots look similar to the parents.

The ones that I've been offered were in the R600 range. Anthracite dark/grey Black and had silver eyes. At least one was very snappy against anything that approached the vivarium, but I think that trait is with both. I asked the seller to make sure about subspecies.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:14 pm

R600? No way it's Savus, or I highly doubt it.

They command much higher prices than that.

One of my favourite pythons species.

Ask the seller for pics and post them. It'll be easy to tell the difference.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby uncutdiamonds » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:47 pm

westley wrote:R600? No way it's Savus, or I highly doubt it.
They command much higher prices than that.
One of my favourite pythons species.
Ask the seller for pics and post them. It'll be easy to tell the difference.

I'll see what I can get in terms of pictures. I like macklots, too. And either way I think it's good, a savu would just be a bonus in terms of having to get a larger enclosure on some stage for the 2xmackloti it will be earlier and bigger.
The other thing I thought of would be the possibility of hybrids.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian pythons (Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis, Morelia sp)