Armata male, deHoop

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Armata male, deHoop

Postby armata » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:37 am

Here is the recaptured adult male from deHoop recorded on my last visit. Note that some the juvenile reddish colouration is retained, more noticeable in a freshly moulted snake. This a 3rd recapture of a 28cm male.
Am back at deHoop next week.

' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: Armata male, deHoop

Postby Loslappie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:54 am

Very Nice! do you have a full body shot please?
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:05 am

awesome
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:53 am

Great stuff Tony!

What would the approximate distance you think this male has travelled?
Have you tracked him for more than a full season?

I would assume males have a huge home range, but females don't.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby armata » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:48 am

First recorded in June 2005. Last record app 150m from original location. In that time he has grown just under 2cm.
armata

Postby atropos » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:40 pm

That is awesome! Are you using scale clippings as your marker? 150m in two years, have you found any other males in the same range or would they avoid eachothers territories?
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes I use scale clip ID (Also DNA). But I can also ID from Head markings. i.e. without disturbing them. The sex ratio is interesting. on this site which is about half a kilometre sq. there are four females and eight males, all adult. I am hoping to witness some more mating behaviour this coming month. Females are much more sedentary than males usually within 20m of site of origin.

Puff adders, same story. Some of my females are very predictable. I prefer to observe rather than catch all I find; and its' always a challenge to sneak up for a photo. Those armata can move very fast when they want to!

Male puff adders are all over the place, one male moved 500m in just four hours a couple of years ago. However, they do tend to return to the same area, eventually.

And cape cobras, I just love observing these, and have quite a few friends out there now, including of course my male from 'bakkie point'!!
armata

Postby atropos » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:44 pm

Wow! That really is fascinating stuff. Knowing individuals that well in their environment is really a special place to be, especially as they are so cryptic it must just add to the wonder and amazement. I've always wondered about the input we have on an individual snake when we disturb them. Have you ever found that any of them shift range if they've been disturbed too much?
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:47 pm

Yes, elapids appear to be different from adder re disturbance. When I started my black mamba study in the 1980s, I first caught them up to clip them; they all buggered off, never to be seen again. It seems you cannot disturb a mamba at its refuge. So to play safe I don't catch cape cobras at refuge either. If they are away from refuge, and I can usually recognise them, then I might just catch them up, IF I have a good reason to do so.
armata

Postby atropos » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:59 pm

That's really investing stuff tony. I really like your philosophy in regards to this and look forward to hearing more in the up coming breeding season.
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive