Iguana Limping

Iguana Limping

Postby Budda » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 am

Hi Everyone

I got my Iguana about two weeks ago and he is very friendly eats well i have him in decent size tank at night inside. and during the day i have him in an enclosure outside the enclosure has sunlight the whole day on one side and the other side shade the whole day

about 4 days ago i was taking him out the tanks to put him outside and he jumped he fell about 4 feet and landed on the tiles with quite a thud :smt010 then 2 days ago he got a slight limp and he started shedding around the same time and he is sleeping allot. Please i need some advice on what to do do with him :smt009

Moved
Budda
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Iguana Limping

Postby Babybird » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 am

Maybe a broken bone?
Maybe take a trip to the vet??
Babybird
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:51 am

Have to agree. Take him to a vet for a check-up.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 am

Ditto, a trip to a vet would be the best solution. He may have broken a bone, or even possibly have some internal injury from the fall. Have him checked out!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Budda » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks guys a really appreciate the help. i have made an appointment with the vet for tonight after work so hopefully its nothing to serious.....
Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
Budda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Drache613 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:47 am

Hello,

Great you have an appointment with the vets for your iggy. How did it go?
I wanted to ask what type of UVB lighting you were using? What is the type & brand of UVB? Are you supplementing calcium as well?

Tracie
We miss you, Steve Irwin!!
Drache613
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LordBelgoroth » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:04 am

Out of more curiosity how do you get your temps and humidity outside? its way too cold to leave them out for just sun now! even the low humidity could aid in bad bones, hows the sneezing? thats usually the best place to start!let us know about the vet visit,and check the vein on the side too
Feistrola Chan Ddreigiau
LordBelgoroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 am

The best way to achieve this is to get a huge Mercury vapour floodlight and put this just above the cage. This will create enough heat even in winter. The humidity will be lower this time of year but a mist sprinkler will help to keep the humidity up. This can be switched on at about 2 o clock for a few minutes every day.

Iguanas are not cheap to maintain. The costs feeding and housing them outweighs any savings made on the purchase price.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Budda » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 am

Hi guys

The visit went quite well the doc says he hasn't broken anything probably just landed funny?? he also said i shouldn't handle him to much for the next two or so weeks. inside i am using a 75w sunglow basking lamp with a 60w infrared heat lamp and a exo terra uvb 5.0 and for outside i have a 250w infrared heat lamp to warm things up a bit and for humidity inside i have a spray bottle that i use and outside i'm not using anything at the moment. oh yes calcium i give him t-rex 2:1. there is also a pet store down the road that sells iguana salad and then i add some extras for him like beans and patty pans...
Budda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LordBelgoroth » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:09 pm

wow sounds good though, how old is your guy? I'm paranoid to leave mine outside unless i'm home, my half built bathroom was converted to a "cage" and they free roam from there and my bedroom, I have a big cage too for outside and inside for safety, wow can i get pictures of your setup? I'm interested to see
Feistrola Chan Ddreigiau
LordBelgoroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Budda » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:28 pm

ok i'll try upload a couple of pics not to sure how though. he's 9 months old going on ten. he seems to be feeling a little better today so i'm gona give it a while before i take him out again. and i'm just making sure he has lots of food and water with tons of warmth.
Budda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Budda » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:28 am

Hi Guys

Just a quick Update Monty is back to his old self running around and climbing on everything that he possibly could. I was really quite worried about him. So thanks to everyone who added their little bit to help me get my little dude sorted out.

Budda
Budda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Budda » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Budda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LordBelgoroth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Wow!! great looking guy have you had him since birth?, the two that were left with me lost so much of their color:( . A liitle trick I have noticed, that vein(sp?) on the side indicates their water levels, once it reaches the arms, means they need water :) specially in the young ones
Feistrola Chan Ddreigiau
LordBelgoroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Budda » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:29 pm

No i only got him about a month ago. what Ive noticed to is that he sits with his mouth open a lot and i have been trying to get him to drink more water, what i usually do is put water in his food and i bath him just about every day for about half an hour. What would be the best way to get him to drink?
Budda
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)