Is this ovulation

Is this ovulation

Postby maz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Greetings everyone. I am almost sure I have visible signs of ovulation with a normal female of mine as she had mated with my pewter male a couple of times over the past few months. Now the bump has appeared and she hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks. Have a look at these pictures and let me know what you'll think. Any guesses as to expected offspring :)

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.
maz
SA Reptiles Member

The lock

Postby maz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 pm

The lock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.
maz
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Is this ovulation

Postby Strictly_Snakes » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 pm

It looks like an ovy, only time will tell hey... good luck man
Strictly_Snakes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Yes I think you are in luck. Keep introducing the male to her till he loses interest.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bosvark75 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi Maz, in my opinion that is not an ovulation. You mentioned that the female ate two weeks ago, that is very rare for a female to eat so close to ovulating. I find that some female Ball pythons develop a bulge after the stomach which will get bigger over a few weeks before ovulation. Not all females develop this bulge, I personally belive its something to do with the folicles ripening. Bare in mind that they grow slowly for months and then the month prior to ovulation the growth rate is accelerated at three times the pace. I also find that its usually young or first time females that show this bulge, a Ball python ovulation is huge and is reffered to as "the lump" for good reason. Once you have seen an ovulation you wont forget what it looks like, some will say that she looks like she has swallowed a rabbit and I have to agree.

The only way to be sure is to check if she sheds in the next two weeks, give or take a day. If she does'nt then you can be assured its the bulge Im reffering to and she will ovulate in around a few weeks to a months time. If this is the case, when you see the ovulation you will never mistake it again.

Best of luck with your breeding and keep us all posted on the development.
bosvark75
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bosvark75 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 pm

You asked about what offspring to expect ?

Pewter x normal = pastel, cinamon, pewter and normal (this is the law of averages at 1 in 4 ratio which we use when breeding double Co-doms to normals)
Basically out of four eggs you should hit the above mentioned morphs, however this is not a guarantee but best of luck.
bosvark75
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brendan E » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:27 am

Looks good to me but like SS said time will tell
livestrong
Brendan E
SA Reptiles Member

Postby slangman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Yes
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby maz » Sun May 02, 2010 8:11 am

Thanks all for the replies.

@ bosvark75, Thank you for the detailed info. She is a young first time female and so it could possibly be a bulge as you said. Shall keep you'll posted on further developments.

Cheers
maz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby maz » Thu May 13, 2010 9:58 am

She has finally gone into a shed cycle...
maz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu May 13, 2010 11:33 am

I have been following this thread, and, with what bosvark75 said with regards to shedding, I think that you definitely witnessed ovulation.
Best of luck.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bosvark75 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:18 pm

It seems that way yes, just keep us all posted with updates and best of luck. From the pics it didnt look like an ovulation as Ive seen bulges in females a few times. Ovulations are usually much bigger than that, so its possible its a small ovulation or you caught the female towards the end of her ovulation, bare in mind they can last from 12-24 hrs.

Thanks
bosvark75
SA Reptiles Member

Postby slangman » Thu May 13, 2010 10:00 pm

congrats dude . I said this was indeed an ovulation as it compares exactly to the pics i posted in this section previously . A small ovulation it is , but as bosvark mentioned , you could have caught her toward the end of her ovulation . I have seen this year , my smallest female ovulate (and she had a very small ovulation just like yours) and this lasted a full week ! I have just tonight seen the largest ovulation in my experience and i tried to take a pic but my new camera fone lacks a decent camera . Still , i will try and post a pic later for you to compare it to .

Well done again mate and please do kep us updated on her progress .

cheers

Nik
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby maz » Fri May 14, 2010 9:39 pm

slangman wrote:A small ovulation it is , but as bosvark mentioned , you could have caught her toward the end of her ovulation . I have seen this year , my smallest female ovulate (and she had a very small ovulation just like yours) and this lasted a full week !

Hi Nik, your bit here sounds similar to what my female went through. After I took these pictures she actually continued to grow more over almost a week before the bump started to subsided, so in all probability I would've caught her toward the start of her ovulation (or suspect lump). Now she is well into her shed cycle and once she sheds, it'll be a 4 week wait before I know if there will be eggs.
maz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby maz » Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 pm

She shed today. The countdown has begun...
maz
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)