mold???

mold???

Postby **KGB** » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 am

Hi guys

quick question.... Is it the moisture and warm temps that allow mold growth or is it stagnant air, i have an idea of attaching a computer fan to an air vent to increase the air circulation. will this decrease the chance of mold growing? besides thorough cleaning what else can be done to minimize or eliminate chance of mold growth.my brb tank has a funny stench... any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
***%^$.Gevarlike.Brazilians***

0.2.0 Albino Corn
1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn
1.1.0 Epicratis. sp.
**KGB**
SA Reptiles Member

Re: mold???

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:50 am

Mold growth thrives in the conditions you describe (heat, moisture and stagnant air), but I think you have a lack of ventilation.

Post a picture of your set up so we can give you the best advice.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kinghero » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:54 am

I would say it’s the warmth and the moisture, but mold can only grow on something to feed on so decaying half eaten meat ( crickets , rats, whatever ) or plants i.e. carrots. And then there are feces. So what substrate do u use in your tank? Think the fan might help a bit but don’t really know.

As for what else can be done= I read on here some were about bio substrate with isopod’s in it, and that should prevent it as well but I am not to clued up on this so you will have to ask around or use Google.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby **KGB** » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:00 am

this is only pic i have of the setup ryt now, will take a few more this afternoon, the other side also has the exact air vent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

0.2.0 Albino Corn
1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn
1.1.0 Epicratis. sp.
**KGB**
SA Reptiles Member

Postby **KGB** » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 am

I'm thinking about putting the fan on the outside of the air vent on the cool side, just not sure which direction would be best pushing air in or pulling air out?? any thoughts?

0.2.0 Albino Corn
1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn
1.1.0 Epicratis. sp.
**KGB**
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:21 am

What part of the enclosure is molding? Substrate? Wood? Faeces?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Kev » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Are there vents on both sides of the tank?
A vent at the bottom on the opposite side of the tank should create a natural air flow with cool air coming in at the bottom and warm air flowing out the top.
A would imagine the fan would create quite a draft and will dry out the air.
Perhaps having it suck out air may help?
I've never had need for a fan so I’m not to sure.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 pm

try not to create a draft, its not good for rtb. Rather add more vents, that sorted out my problem. The mold grows due to the lack of ventilation, as the humidity causes the substate and wood too stay damp.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:19 pm

High humidity and a draught is a recipe for a sick snake. Increase the size of the vents and that should sort out your mold smell.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby **KGB** » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:22 am

Sweet, thanks guys. i think its cause i don't have a vent at the bottom only on the top at either side, i,ve got two circle vents that i'll add at the bottom, does it have to be on one side one to work "natural airflow" or will a vent on either side at the top and bottom give me better results?

0.2.0 Albino Corn
1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn
1.1.0 Epicratis. sp.
**KGB**
SA Reptiles Member

Postby **KGB** » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Ok so i decided to move the tank before i increase the size of vents and that seems to have fixed the problem, i now have the vents facing the window not against it to create a draft but about half a meter away, temps are steady and humidity holding.

Thanks Again

0.2.0 Albino Corn
1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn
1.1.0 Epicratis. sp.
**KGB**
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Badasti » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:10 pm

For my BRB I cut out all humidity all together. It's a pain in the ass.

I keep her water on the cool side of the tank. When she goes into the blue I replace her hide with a shed box with a cut out entrance. Half filled with damp spaghnum moss half on and half off the heatpad (unless it's a hot summer day then I put it on the cool side), spray it every morning if it needs more moisture and she chills there for the next week or so. She sheds perfectly, complete sheddings without any breakage at all... No mold, no fuss and the snake is completely healthy.

Learnt this from a guy who has like over 8 breeding pairs...

She's in the blue at the moment so I can post a pic of her shedding in the next week or so if you like :)

But yeah trying to maintain humidity in the entire enclosure is horrid...
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Postby **KGB** » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Badasti wrote:For my BRB I cut out all humidity all together. It's a pain in the ass.

I keep her water on the cool side of the tank. When she goes into the blue I replace her hide with a shed box with a cut out entrance. Half filled with damp spaghnum moss half on and half off the heatpad (unless it's a hot summer day then I put it on the cool side), spray it every morning if it needs more moisture and she chills there for the next week or so. She sheds perfectly, complete sheddings without any breakage at all... No mold, no fuss and the snake is completely healthy.

Learnt this from a guy who has like over 8 breeding pairs...

She's in the blue at the moment so I can post a pic of her shedding in the next week or so if you like :)

But yeah trying to maintain humidity in the entire enclosure is horrid...

hey badasti

is she the same one that you rescued from petshop? if so, glad to hear shes doing so well and koodos to you for getting her up to scratch again. would really like to see a resent pic of her. I will try

0.2.0 Albino Corn
1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn
1.1.0 Epicratis. sp.
**KGB**
SA Reptiles Member

Postby **KGB** » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:07 pm

hey Badasti

is she the same one that you rescued from petshop? if so, glad to hear shes doing so well and koodos to you for getting her up to scratch again. would really like to see a resent pic of her... I prefer to keep the tank humid and clean more often while they under a year old, will switch to the shedbox thing when im sure they can handle the lower humidty with no probs, I currently have two humid hides in there cage one warm and one cool. I notice them using both, swopping sides every now and again.

Thanks for sharing and how bout a pic of her setup aswell.

0.2.0 Albino Corn
1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn
1.1.0 Epicratis. sp.
**KGB**
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Badasti » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Hey man

Yes she's the one from that shop. Thanks she's doing great! It took roughly 2 months of visits to the vet. Shabir is a legend for sorting out her eye caps and it didn't cost me much at all. Everyone thought she was likely going to lose her eyes including BV when I took her to the expo. Happy to say that's all a thing of the past now :)

Yea ofc you must handle your snakes how you feel most comfortable. The mold just drove me mad. Heat and moisture is the devil.

I'll post some pics of her as soon as she sheds. As for the setup I'm in the process of upgrading alot of enclosures so will rather post those another time. Hers is a little lack luster and simple atm (waterbowl, a log, peach and apricot pip substrate and a hide). Finishing off my home built chameleon cage first.

Anyway I noticed her in the blue about 3 days ago, so another 3 days and I should have some pics to put up. B)
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Rainbow boas (Epicrates sp.)