New Tadpoles

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

New Tadpoles

Postby Joh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi There,

I just found the tadpoles of an African Clawed Frog Xenopus sp. in a permanent pool of water, and I thought someone might like to see the pictures. P.S. these frogs are also known as Platannas. I'm not sure which species of Xenopus they are.

Sincerely,
Joh
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New Tadpoles

Postby Joh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:11 pm

As you can see there was a lot of vegetation in the pool.
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Those are probably the common form. Unless you are lucky and live in the South Western Cape you will not find the others too easily.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mania » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Thats cool to see, kinda remind me of young catfish.
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:52 pm

I was thinking the same thing, they look like young Pangasius catfish.
And, I also think that they are probably the Common Platanna, there are two other options, Muller's Platanna and the Tropical Platanna, but neither is likely.

Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 pm

They remind me a lot of Pangasius cats, too :P I've always found platanna tadpoles so intriguing. I'd say 99% chance that they are Xenopus Laevis, the Common Platanna.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Fascinating, I agree. And the fact that Pangasius catfish are one of my favourite aquarium fish just adds to my pleasure. Four of the tadpoles have fully formed back legs now, and they are swimming and kicking about.

Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Damn, you must have a huge aquarium o.O Pangasius can reach 4-6ft and are schooling fish. I have one small one in my 280L but I got it from someone who was getting rid of her whole aquarium, along with other fish. Once it gets too big I will have to rehome it, or if my bichirs get big first, then I will upgrade for them and the Pangasius can live with them still.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way I could possibly afford to house a Pangasius, as much as I might like them. It costs less to buy the a smaller tank with fish than it does to buy a tank large enough to house a Pangasius. If I could afford it I would have one, with a Mad Barb. I accidentally bought a mad barb once, and I had to rehome it :(

Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Yeah, big tanks aren't cheap... It can be cheaper to build one yourself, or to consider keeping a heated outdoor pond (I plan to do that one day for a Redtail Catfish).
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:29 am

Great to hear that there are other guys out there into fish.
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Agreed. Fish, reptiles, amphibians, and reptiles are my passion. Some of them are just so expensive to keep :(

Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:04 am

I am primarily a TASA (Tropical Aquariums South Africa) person but I come here to discuss my platannas (I also love reptiles but don't own any), as they are blacklisted (pretty much all local amphibians are) and TASA doesn't allow discussion of blacklisted species.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:30 am

Oh, I see. I live in Natal, and the ordinance states that we can keep any Reptiles, Amphibians, and Invertebrates that aren't tops listed. I mostly keep invertebrates, and raise frogs.
I did, however, have 5 fishtanks, and all of them were full. I looove fish, they're just a bit expensive around here. Same with reptiles, cant afford the lights.

Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians