Your opinion on Rattlesnake Republic

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Your opinion on Rattlesnake Republic

Postby J.C » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 am

Hey Guys & Girls.

Was watching Rattlesnake Republic now,it made me sick and annoyed me. They said that they "keeping the population count down" and if it was not for these "men" the Rattlesnake population would be double what it is already!

My view is that the human race should not interfere with nature,there is a reason for everything to happen. I also think its really not necessary to kill the snakes for the reasons they do. Problem animals can be removed from populated areas and be released,and why not just leave the ones in nature! Bunch of -----'s. A question I've got that I hope someone will be able to answer,are these guys permitted to do this or can any Tom,Dick and Harry start doing so?

Regards J.C
Never mistake my silence for ignorance, calmness for acceptance or kindness for weakness.
J.C
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Your opinion on Rattlesnake Republic

Postby ColinWa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 am

Funny enough, i was watching the show just now and was thinking the same thing. People do anythong for money really, and some of those guys do pretty stupid things like fall into the pool next to the rattler. I've no idea if they've permits, but i'm sure if it's on TV they're allowed to do it.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Davidc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:27 am

I think Discovery has lost the plot. I am amazed at the cr@p they are allowed to air. Swamp men killing off crocs, Extreme loggers glorifying the de forestation of our planet and the list goes on. In the Cape (Pringle to be exact) they lured baboons into homes with food for the sake of making a documentry, this after the residents have spent years trying to stop this kind of behaviour. Also in False bay they did a documentry and chummed for sharks close to a surf spot. A week later a surfer got killed. Now this.
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:31 pm

It's pretty disgusting what they're doing, 45 Western diamond backs in one afternoon and the guy says "I can't just leave 20$ bills laying on the floor". They're not keeping the population down, they went into the wild where the snakes pose no threat to anyone. They're driving the population down not keeping it down.

They are making Rattle snakes look bad just for their own profit. Going into caves and taking the poor creatures from the wild.

@Davidc I totally agree with what you're saying, they are showing documentaries where people are destroying our wonderful world, the things people will do just for money.

In my opinion I hope they get bit :).

My 2c.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris w » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I AGREE, as far as i am concerned this is just poaching, everyone is against killing rhinos but when its a snake Discovery call it entertainment, its disgusting :smt009 . in twenty years when these animals are put on the endangered species list, we will be fighting with people who say its a way of life and that they have been doing it for years and shouldnt stop now.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryan5151 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Hey guys im new to the forum . I agree with all of you i also saw that show and i think its wrong to do that to those snakes just for money.
Ryan5151
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J.C » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:29 pm

AMEN to all the comments. I signed a petition against Rattlesnake Republic on a link given to me via facebook,can't find it otherwise I would have posted it here! Let's hope they all get bitten and DIE!! Got no time for people like that. What's the difference between killing rhinos and killing snakes except that more people like rhinos. Its been a proven fact that over exploiting a specie will lead to extinction,so how the --- is this a good thing!
Never mistake my silence for ignorance, calmness for acceptance or kindness for weakness.
J.C
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryan5151 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:54 pm

I found a petition to stop Rattlesnake Republic here is the link http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...nature_receipt . I hope this helps I havent singned it yet but im going to do it now.
Ryan5151
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J.C » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks Ryan. Come guys let's all sign and stop this. If 50% of all the guys on SAreps sign this I'm sure it will do good al ready.
J.C
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Uromastyx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:23 pm

The link isnt working. ( Well this is embarrassing…
We couldn't find the page you were looking
for.)

Do any one have a working link?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Uromastyx
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Davidc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm

What are the facts? Who (if anyone) does research on the rattlesnake population? I am all for good management which starts with having the facts in front of you. Let us not forget many Americans consider elephants to be critically endangered across the whole of its range. We know this is not so, yet the public perception created by animal rightist's are playing a massive role in how we manage our elephants. Before I do not have the facts I am not signing up for anything. Assumption is the mother of all stuff ups.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:57 pm

It is common knowledge that the species used for the roundups has been changing. The reason is that they have to go further afield to collect the rattlesnakes because they have decimated the populations where they previously collected. Some populations have stopped rattling their tails because that is how they are discovered and then collected. An entire paper was dedicated to this.

I am sure next week Animal Planet will have a documentary on how bestiality is a good thing because it reduces the rape of small family members amongst these same inbred idiots that collect rattlesnakes. I am sickened and do not watch any of these channels any more.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Slightly off the topic, but none the less very relavent. I too am so over the junk that they put on these channels these days!

http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Wildlife ... t-20120704

I suppose they are catering for the masses, this is why shows like Gerry Springer & the Kardashians are such a success!
Lets follow the lives of some hillbilly family that cat even speak proper English, who shoot and slaughter aligators for a living!
Or the show where a bunch of creatins catch, kill and exploit rattle snakes!
Or the show where
Excellent message these channels are sending out.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GCol » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:31 pm

They used to be some of my favourite channels. Don't even have DSTV anymore. Buy my documentries now.
Gareth Coleman
GCol
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to General Discussions