Spider headwobble

Spider headwobble

Postby Zyzygy » Tue May 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Considering a spider ball python but I've heard a lot about this whole "headwobble" business but I'm personally unsure because I know that many morphs are prone to some issues but I find it hard to believe that every spider is born with a debilitating issue. Would any one have any advice on the matter? because looking at 4500-5000 rand it seems like a lot of money for something they may just be unhappy. Also the ball will be bought from a reputable and well established breeder so I'm hoping that he knows whether or not a snake is well enough to be sold or not.
Zyzygy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Spider headwobble

Postby Gustav » Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the head wobble/corkscrewing. All spiders have it to some degree. My spider female has it, but it doesn't limit her in any way. Most of the times you don't even notice it. It mostly shows when they are excited or stressed and they corkscrew a bit when roaming up against the sides of their cage/tub. Spiders are loved by many for their pattern and white sides and they are known as good feeders and breeders.

If you are buying from a established breeder a highly doubt he will be selling you a snake that should not be sold. I'm sure he would not risk it. Ask him if you can see a feeding session and you will be able to gauge the severity of the animals wobble and also see it feeding.

Why don't you look at other morphs if you have doubts over the spider? In your price range there are a few morphs you can consider.

PS. My spider is my personal favorite in my collection for her personality. Always alert and hungry!
Look for GVZ exotics on FB and join our page
Gustav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:22 pm

The headwobble is a genetic expression. Quite a few ball python morphs have them; it is just expressed as part of their genetic coding
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Tue May 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Herald_23 wrote:The headwobble is a genetic expression. Quite a few ball python morphs have them; it is just expressed as part of their genetic coding

Like?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:07 am

LAMB Pythons wrote:
Herald_23 wrote:Like?

You're going to have to be slightly more specific than that, sir. Would you like the morphs which do the same or what the genetic coding and protein combination is for the morph and head wobble?
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SBP » Wed May 15, 2013 10:01 am

Not all spiders are born with head wobble! Last year I hatched a few spiders and only a few had the wobble, the rest are perfectly fine. Some morphs like my albino spider has a really bad wobble.
SBP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Wed May 15, 2013 11:03 am

I would like to know what other morphs have head wobble like the Spider's neurological condition?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zyzygy » Wed May 15, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like something I can handle fairly easily. Doesn't sound like much more than a tic that some people have, like a small twitch or habit of bouncing their leg. Regardless of the headwobble it's still a beautiful snake and I'll appreciate it all the same.
Zyzygy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Michael Jones » Wed May 15, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm with Lamb on this one,what other morphs have the spider head wobble?
Michael Jones
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Wed May 15, 2013 10:13 pm

SBP wrote:Not all spiders are born with head wobble! Last year I hatched a few spiders and only a few had the wobble, the rest are perfectly fine. Some morphs like my albino spider has a really bad wobble.

Wrong, ALL Spiders and Spider combinations suffer from head wobble. Some show it more then others, some only show it a few years later.
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Asher » Wed May 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Zyzygy, I think spiders are awesome, there are so many amazing spider combos, and they normally are great feeders, I don't think you will be disappointed.
My female spider is one of my favorite snakes, she is over 1000g and seems to have grown out of her slight wobble she had as a hatchling, I don't know if this is possible, but it looks that way.
I will post a vid of her feeding when I figure out how to upload pics an vids from iPhone.
Let us know if you find one.
4.11 Ball Python
Asher
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SBP » Thu May 16, 2013 2:08 pm

my vanilla spider and dessert spider doesnt have a wobble
SBP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bundu Boy » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 am

Both my spiders have the head wobble, it is inherent in this particular morph.

I would not say the snake is unhappy or stressed due to the wobble, if it was they would not be such awesome feeders and breeders. In my opinion all collections must have a spider as they are great balls to have. It is now commonly accepted that this particular comes with this 'quirk', just part of the parcel....
Bundu Boy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Sat May 18, 2013 5:33 am

Zyzygy some people find it hard to watch a Spider when they start to corckscew. I`m going to be 100% honest, I don't like seeing my Bumble Bee when he is going haywire. Some days I have to "reset" him, where he ended with his head upside down (Its only breeding season that his head wobble is more visible). Don`t let that put you off getting a Spider. My Bee is the dad of my Queen bee, I wanted to replace him with the Queen bee, but he is such a great breeder I'm keeping him. Spiders make awesome morphs!
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GOM » Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm

I am with you on the last post there LAMB Pythons..... They make awesome morphs and are generally great breeders!!! Zyzygy, You will not be disappointed in adding a spider to the collection!!!!
On the comeback trail!!!! Slowly but surely!!!
1.1.0 Het Pied PR
2.6.0.Normal PR
1.0.0 Pewter PR
0.1.0 Het Clown PR
1.0.0 Lemon Pastel PR
GOM
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)