My Cal King - first timer

My Cal King - first timer

Postby Aninelab » Wed May 15, 2013 9:48 am

Hi to all, my first post - so please be gentle? he he he. First timer also in keeping a snake. My high yellow Cal king is now 5mnths old, she is the cutest little thing and I would do anything to take good care of her. She is now already about 35cm in length and looks real happy. I thought to try a fuzzy on Sunday, for the first time as she is just used to pinkies, at first she was very curious but didn't take it. I then made a hole in the fuzzy's neck with a knife and as soon as I lowered it, she was all over it. She did take a long time to get it down - I suspect it was a little too big for her. My question to all ye experienced: Am I too quick in trying to feed her fuzzies and should I rather stick to pinkies (she feeds every 5 days now)? Another interesting observation, the past two mornings I found her curled up in her waterbowl. Too all accounts it seems like she has been there a while each time... I replace fresh water and mist the cage again. I only mist about once a week. Staying in Pretoria the humidity isn't that high, but as far as I could research cal kings aren't really too sensitive about that? But her being in her waterbowl for a couple of hours at least for the past two mornings, is that a sign maybe that I should increase the misting as well as temperature to increase humidity? I also handle her everyday, for about 30mins in the evenings, at first she is very squemish, but later on she will get onto my hand by herself. She is very shy still (I've had her for a month now) and I was wondering if this is normal behaviour? (Ok, I realise it isn't a puppy, but was just wondering if they ever "warm-up" to one person's touch?) I would appreciate any feedback. Thx! :smt006
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Cal King - first timer

Postby NewtTZ » Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 am

Cal Kings are among my favourite snakes and I have kept a few of them over the years.

At 35cm I would recommend that you continue feeding your snake pinkies.

Don't spray your Cal King a water bowl is the only source of water they need.

If the snake is soaking in its water bowl it is probably shedding. Your snakes colours will start to become dull and its eyes will go blue if it is going to shed.

You are over handling the snake which causes stress. For a pet snake I would suggest handling your snake for no more than ten minutes at a time twice a week.

Do not handle your snake during its shed phase. Give your snake 2-3 days after eating before you handle it.
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 pm

NewtTZ I think your handling schedule is a little strict. For hatchlings I would say yes handle less often. But a sub adult snake can be handled more than twice a week.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aninelab » Wed May 15, 2013 4:00 pm

NewtTZ wrote:Cal Kings are among my favourite snakes and I have kept a few of them over the years.

At 35cm I would recommend that you continue feeding your snake pinkies.

Don't spray your Cal King a water bowl is the only source of water they need.

If the snake is soaking in its water bowl it is probably shedding. Your snakes colours will start to become dull and its eyes will go blue if it is going to shed.

You are over handling the snake which causes stress. For a pet snake I would suggest handling your snake for no more than ten minutes at a time twice a week.

Do not handle your snake during its shed phase. Give your snake 2-3 days after eating before you handle it.

Thank you very much for the much needed advice. I will certainly follow it. Less handling, less spraying, just maintaining the waterbowl. Maybe I am a bit overeager, but I'm like a child who finally got her wish granted after such a long time of wishing. I appreciate the advice and will certainly ask more questions, as I would want to do it "right" :D
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aninelab » Wed May 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Jamster wrote:NewtTZ I think your handling schedule is a little strict. For hatchlings I would say yes handle less often. But a sub adult snake can be handled more than twice a week.

Taking the advice, thank you very much! :D
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm

At 35cm I would not say a fuzzie is too big - depending on what fuzzie you are referring to - a pinkie which is just starting to get its fuzz or one that has had its fuzz for a week?

That said, a few of the cali kings I have all eat different meals, some can handle huge meals and some prefer smaller ones. If your king does manage to keep its food down then you know the meal was not too big, that said, I would feed it every seven days for just in case. The fuzzy will definitely give it more nutrition than a pinkie which is just water basically.

As for the handling, I agree on not handling while in shed and for atleast 2 days after a meal, otherwise I see nothing wrong with how long you are currently handling it. It is true that hatchlings do better with less handling, but most calis are quite tolerant.

With frequent handling it will also improve the snakes attitude to some degree. It will begin to familiarise your smell with safety and begin to calm down more. Alternatively I have heard many people say that in kings and milks they calm down after they have hit a year or so, so as they age they calm down - this isn't always the case though

As for the lying in the waterbowl - check if the snake is getting ready to shed, otherwise check and make sure your temps are not too hot, snakes will try to soak in their waterbowls to escape temps that are too hot. Out of all my calis, only my high yellow/ banana king regularly sits in her water bowl for extended periods.

PS have you got any pics of the cali? Sharing is caring
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NewtTZ » Wed May 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Remember to feed your Cal King on frozen/thawed mice if you are not doing so already.

I have never had a Cal King of any age refuse frozen/thawed mice.

I have a 12 year old Banana cal King that has never eaten live food and is in excellent health.

Remember to send pics of the snake.
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aninelab » Thu May 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Unforgiven wrote:At 35cm I would not say a fuzzie is too big - depending on what fuzzie you are referring to - a pinkie which is just starting to get its fuzz or one that has had its fuzz for a week?

That said, a few of the cali kings I have all eat different meals, some can handle huge meals and some prefer smaller ones. If your king does manage to keep its food down then you know the meal was not too big, that said, I would feed it every seven days for just in case. The fuzzy will definitely give it more nutrition than a pinkie which is just water basically.

As for the handling, I agree on not handling while in shed and for atleast 2 days after a meal, otherwise I see nothing wrong with how long you are currently handling it. It is true that hatchlings do better with less handling, but most calis are quite tolerant.

With frequent handling it will also improve the snakes attitude to some degree. It will begin to familiarise your smell with safety and begin to calm down more. Alternatively I have heard many people say that in kings and milks they calm down after they have hit a year or so, so as they age they calm down - this isn't always the case though

As for the lying in the waterbowl - check if the snake is getting ready to shed, otherwise check and make sure your temps are not too hot, snakes will try to soak in their waterbowls to escape temps that are too hot. Out of all my calis, only my high yellow/ banana king regularly sits in her water bowl for extended periods.

PS have you got any pics of the cali? Sharing is caring

Thank you so very much for all the advice. I've checked, can't say if she is about to shed - eyes seem fine, so is the colour of her skin - suspect the cage might be too hot! Typical first timer, scard she gets too cold in winter. I don't handle her for at least 24hrs after eating, just to be sure. never had a problem. She eats live as well as thawed food, the fuzzy was I suspect still very young, barely hairy. She did keep it down. I cleaned her cage, she seems to have left her waterbowl for now... could be that the amonia also made her do that? I don't know. I will gladly submit some pics - tomorrow. she is so pretty - brown and yellow... not very dark at all! She is still squeemish for the first couple of minutes in handling, but she loves lying on my tummy and warming up there, crawling into my neck and find a cozy spot there and keep still. playing thru my fingers. but I will tone the handling down a bit - she is still young. Thank you once again for the help and advice - really appreciate it! :)
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aninelab » Fri May 17, 2013 9:31 am

NewtTZ wrote:Remember to feed your Cal King on frozen/thawed mice if you are not doing so already.

I have a 12 year old Banana cal King that has never eaten live food and is in excellent health.

hi there, last night I fed her two pinkies - my feeling was that she could've taken a 3rd easily. Pinkies were unusally small though. Here are some pics from last night, but i can see that she is about to shed - last night was more prominently visible, the faded eyes and skin colour. These pics were taken about 4hrs after she fed. And look at that little face! Isn't she the cutest? Thank you for all the advice, really appreciate it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aninelab » Fri May 17, 2013 9:53 am

NewtTZ wrote:Remember to feed your Cal King on frozen/thawed mice if you are not doing so already.

Please post pic of your Banana Cal King? First time I hear of such a name... what is the difference? is this got to do with high white and high yellow?
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri May 17, 2013 5:49 pm

You can switch her up to small fuzzy mice already. The goal is to get her onto rodents with teeth as quickly as possible. They have more calcium with is very important for Lamprophis species.

Get her off that corn cob!!!! That stuff is evil and should not even be allowed to be sold for reptiles. Rather put her on newspaper if you have to.

Very nice looking snake.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jamster » Mon May 20, 2013 8:33 am

I think you mean Lampropeltis sp. Bushviper ;)

Yip I messed up. Mind was elsewhere BV
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aninelab » Mon May 20, 2013 10:15 am

Bushviper wrote:You can switch her up to small fuzzy mice already. The goal is to get her onto rodents with teeth as quickly as possible. They have more calcium with is very important for Lamprophis species.

Get her off that corn cob!!!! That stuff is evil and should not even be allowed to be sold for reptiles. Rather put her on newspaper if you have to.

Very nice looking snake.

Thx - i think she is a beauty! Someone else is of the opinion that she might be a x between florida king and California King, since she is not banded or striped. Doesn't matter - she is so pretty! I already bought some other substrate - this corncob is a mess and it is so difficult to work with. The substrate i got is that crushed nuts / stones effect - the dark brown colour. (forgot the name) Went to visit over 4 major pet shops / exotic pet shops this weekend and saw that most of them house their snakes and reptiles on this substrate - so i got myself some! (Another person said that the aspen something... substrate is the best for kings?) But thx for the advice. She is so latharig and placid the past two days - hiding under her hide the whole time, can't even see that she has been out at night. But sjo! the skin is tight and the eyes blue and i realise last night she probably has very little eye sight at the moment. Shame, i feel so sorry for her. Handled her a bit but i could see she wasn't very comfortable, i just then wet her with luke warm water, mist the cage and let her be... i hope she sheds today or tomorrow. Got her two fuzzies - small ones though... but would want to wait for her to shed before i feed her.
What do you think?
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 am

Lol, we all have those days:)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NewtTZ » Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Cal Kings are highly variable in pattern.

Cal Kings come in two natural phases: Coastal and Desert

Coastal phase Cal Kings have a brown background colour with yellow stripes or yellow bands

Desert Phase Cal Kings have a black background colour with white stripes or white bands.

Your Cal king is a high yellow which is a line bred morph of coastal phase cal kings. Breeders enhance the yellow colour and decrease the brown colour by selective breeding.

I sold a Cal King recently that looked like yours but was from desert phase stock, so the yellow was replaced with white.
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to King snakes and milk snakes (Lampropeltis sp.)