Ball park prices of ball pythons

Ball park prices of ball pythons

Postby mental-tree » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 am

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get myself a ball python and was wondering if you could give me some ball park prices for different bp morph and different ages etc. Most of the pet shops I have visited only have normal's with prices ranging from R600 to R1200 for sankes that are between 3 and 5 month of age.

I will be going to the Spring Terrarium and aquarium Expo this weekend, hoping to find a nice bp there but before buying I'd like to know what a reasonable price to pay would be.

Thanks in advance.

-Topic Moved- Wes
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Ball park prices of ball pythons

Postby Lillypod » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 am

Females are usually a few hundred Rands more than males. It all depends on the morph and the sex. I've seen normal males from R400 - R700, females from R800 - R1200. Pastels usually range from R2000 (seen some pastel males going for less before) + and spiders around R3000+-, obviously rarer morphs will me a lot more.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mental-tree » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:43 am

How much do you think a blue eyed leucistic would go for? Definitely out of my price range but would be interesting to know.
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Each year the prices on morphs go down. It would not be impossible for baby male Leucistics to go for around R10 000 this year. It all depends who imported them and who bred them.

The season has just started so babies from last year might be a bit more than babies from this year. Look at the quality too. A pastel is not just a pastel. I have seen pastels which should be sold as normals and others that have blown my socks off and made me want their babies.

Personally if I cannot see a picture of the parents I will not pay top money for them. I also want a "birth certificate" stating who the parents are so that if I ever want to sell them I dont have a trust issue with the person buying from me.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mental-tree » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Bushviper wrote:Each year the prices on morphs go down. It would not be impossible for baby male Leucistics to go for around R10 000 this year. It all depends who imported them and who bred them.

I suppose I could sell a kidney :roll:

Hoping to get my self a nice pastel or maybe a spider, I;m guessing those are the only morphs that I can afford at this point in time.
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:24 pm

Well the first Leucuistic was sold for something like R 800 000-00 so the prices have down considerably.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby martinB » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Hold on to your money until the end of february,You are going to pick up base morphs for a lot cheaper.The prices are going to drop a lot this season.
martinB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mental-tree » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:04 pm

R800'000 :O! That's ridiculous!

@martinB, I may just do that.
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gwapo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

I would say hold on to your money as well. The prices have dropped so much recently and it will continue to do so. Due to the number of recent imports the same importers even drop their own prices between shipments. And I have the pricelists to prove it. In December 2012 one importer had a Spied up for R40 000, a recent pricelist from another importer (August 2013) had a Spied male for R17 000...

If you want a great pet animal get a Ball Python or a Corn. Dont do it for "investment" reasons.
Gwapo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:30 am

MartinB are you saying I will get much less for my pastel offspring this season then last season?
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 am

martinB wrote:You are going to pick up base morphs for a lot cheaper.The prices are going to drop a lot this season.

@ MartinB Its interesting that you make such a statement,it seems to me just the opposite has happened. The prices of the high end morphs just keeps on falling while the more common base morphs prices has pretty much stabilized over the last few years.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby martinB » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:30 am

Dean.Due to importers flooding the market before local hatchlings have hatched,local breeders are left with no choice but to drop prices to protect there investment,Believe me,prices are going to be a lot less this season.people can not even manage to sell Breeder pastel males at R1500,what do you think a hatchling is going to go for.
Tony.I know what I'm talking about.I know the big breeders well.Just wait and see.
martinB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gwapo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:55 am

All, think about it this way....who in RSA has bred Champagne Ball pythons???? Who has bred Clowns, or Albino Spiders etc? The short answer is no one. However the importers are managing to sell Champagnes for around ZAR7000 now, not even 2 years ago people were paying ZAR25000. I bought a Albino SPider for ZAR15000, recently saw an Alnino Pinstripe on an import list for ZAR6800.

That is why I say...these are great pet animals....do not waste money on "investments". I speak from experience...I lost a lot
Gwapo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gwapo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 am

Just another consideration....think about the maintenance of these animals. Say you pay R1500 for a pastel male. Added to this comes the correct housing, the electricity, rats etc. It is much more expensive to maintain than a colubrid worth the same money. if your housing is not correct they get sick...quick. A colubrid of similar is much more forgiving and they are a lot hardier.
Gwapo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Go look in the Ultimate exotics magazine where I have discussed this entire issue in detail. You can still make money. Just have to be smart about it.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)