Bosch monitor outdoor permanent living

Bosch monitor outdoor permanent living

Postby Conbizzle » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 am

Hey there guys,
I'm in th process of designing a permanent outdoor cage for a Bosch monitor.
Can anyone give me any advice? I've see the monitor at Croc City who lives outside and his setup is fairly simple... I was thinking even in winter, as long as his hide is kept warm constantly he should be okay? Living in hartbeesport our winters can get cold but not too bad. And the hide should keep him fine? During winter days out here the sun still shines bright and hot. I don't want to do anything until I'm 100% on everything. I would also like to know if they're good climbers and would climb up a 3 foot vertical wall? And if someone could advise me on what they feed their Bosch. Thanks !
Conbizzle
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bosch monitor outdoor permanent living

Postby Foxticity » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 pm

I had adult Bosch monitors for a while outside.
They are very strong and climb well. 3ft is to low.
Ill suggest atleast 5ft tall and the wall must be plastered. I kept them on our patio which has a 1.2m high face brick wall. I came up one day to feed them and the one was laying on top of the wall basking...

As for food, there are many options to feed them but mostly protein is what they love.
Eggs, fish and lots of meat.
Day old chicks, chicken hearts and gurts. Mince and so on.
I use to make a nice mixture of a few meats and crack a egg into it to make a ''Dagga" (not weed) like mix. It was all mushy like mash but was easier for them to eat.
Nice big water bowls are also very important.
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Conbizzle » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Ah thanks for the input. I think I will put an inward facing ledge on top of the wall about 2 foot inward so if they climb the wall they won't be able to climb backwards over the ledge... If you get what I'm saying? If I put a big pond with fish in it will they eat the fish? I don't mind if they do but I'm just interested.. I'm turning one section of my garden into a nice big habitat for them. If they live outside am I in need of a UVB bulb inside their hide or something like that?
Conbizzle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Conbizzle » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Do you feed their food all raw and uncooked?
Conbizzle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:22 pm

The ones at Croc city get brought in at night. These will not do too well with our cold nights in winter, because where they come from they dont know what frost is.
If you build a hide where they can spend the night which never goes below 15 degrees then you should be okay. On cold winter days a spotlight hanging over a basking spot will also be appreciated.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Conbizzle » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 am

That's what I was thinking. A constantly warm hide with temperature gradient and then in winter days they can still go out and sun themselves as usual
Conbizzle
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)