Corn hibernation & feeding

Corn hibernation & feeding

Postby Fantasy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:51 pm

I know it is a stupid question but I cant find answers anywhere else. Do corn snakes hibernate? Why I'm asking is our corn has been in his hide box for the last 4 days and I dont want to disturb him. Also how many times must we feed him a week. We give him a pinky once a week and i can see the bump in him, is that enough? And lastly does anyone know where we can get pinkies in Springs?

Thanks guys.
Fantasy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:03 pm

Corn snakes do brumate. They need a temperature drop to do this though. Brumated stimulates snakes into breeding. The cool temps and different light cycle stimulates production of ova and sperm. Snakes do not feed during this period.

To do this you need to gradually lower temps, and finally switch off all heat to them in the winter months. Keep the heat off for two to three months, and heat them up again. Start feeding two weeks after the temps reach 26º.

If a snake is lying in it's hiding box for days on end, it only means he is hiding. He feels safe in his little boxy. Do you know how high the temps are in the cage? A corn with temps less than 20º might stop feeding. Optimum is 26-29º (in my experience) You get pigs who might eat when the temps are lower as well. They often regurge the food though, as they can't digest it at those low temperatures.

Hatchlings can be fed twice a week. Once you can't see the bump anymore it's time to up the food item, or go bigger.

Where can you find pinkies in Springs? I import them from Benoni... seriously. :D I can help you out with frozen. Send me a pm if you want. I honestly don't know of petshops on the area who regularly have feeder mice.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Corncrazy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:08 pm

Hi there.

I doubt ur corn is brumatin, seein as u feed him pinks im guessin he is still a baby. U only need to brumate them when you are goin to breed them, to brumate them means that u drop the temps to about 15 degrees, and they go without food durin tht time. I feed my hatchlings 2 pinks every 4 days and they do very well on that :wink:
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

how do I brumate cornsnakes

Postby Stefan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:20 pm

How do I do it? What temp must the cage be during brumation? Is there anything special I should do?

This topic now merged with the original one. Froot
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dentech » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:42 am

Stefan, if you want to brumate your snakes for this season, it's too late. You should start the first week of June, feed your snakes for the last time, then after two weeks start dropping the temps so that you end up at about 16 deg C at the first week of July. Leave the snakes with fresh water available untill the second week of August, then start heating up to normal temps. When optimum temp is reached, feed the snakes. After the female's first shed, introduce her to the male.

Hope this helps, it works for me.

Some colubrids will mate without being brumated, but the male sometimes needs the drop in temp to produce viable sperm.
Dentech

Postby Corncrazy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:58 am

Yes i agree wit Dentech with everythin he said there.

Some corns will mate even though you didn brumate them, the first time my corns bred i didn brumate them at all and they got down and done the deed. I always put my female into my males cage.

How big r ur corns?
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Postby Stefan » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:48 am

i have a trio of yearling corns i getting an albino yearling im breeding them next season i will space out the day between mating one week the okeetee another week albino and the other week the normal and repeat it if nesacery
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dentech » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:12 am

You say they are yearlings now, and want to breed them next season. I prefer breeding snakes only after their third winter, then you get more eggs for the rest of her life, but if you breed them young, you will get eggs sooner, but less for the rest of her life.
Dentech

Postby Corncrazy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:04 pm

Stefan how big r they now? Wat are they eatin and how often?
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Postby Reptilians » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Its a bit to late to hibernate your corns, all you have to do is make sure you feed them really well through out the season then stop feeding them 3 weeks before they go into hibernation with the heaters on so that the snakes gut can clear out after the 3 weeks just switch off the heaters and leave your snake to hibernate, dont forget to change the snakes water weekly. I start hibernating my snakes from about june and I let them sleep till the end of august, then all you do is switch the heaters back on and start feeding them about 2 weeks after that and after they have had about 4 to 5 feeds then you can start breeding.

You dont even have to hibernate cornsnakes you can feed them right through winter if you want just make sure you keep the heating pad on.

Hope this helps a bit....
Reptilians
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kay » Mon May 26, 2008 8:31 am

I realise this is an old topic, but insteadof starting a new one, I just thought I'd asky my questions here -

I have a male corn. Just more than a year old. Last year he was still small, so we kept on feeding him through out the winter. We don't have a femaleand are not interesting in breeding. My question - must I brumate him? Will it have a negative impact on him if we don't?

If I have to do the brumation thing - do I leave him in his large cae or move him to something smaller? How do I gradually lower the temps?
Kay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon May 26, 2008 2:22 pm

I realise this is an old topic, but insteadof starting a new one, I just thought I'd asky my questions here -

Thank you Kay!! People, look how Kay did it, she SEARCHED, THEN she POSTED!!

:smt023

Now for a corn fundi to answer... :oops:
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Pezulu » Mon May 26, 2008 2:44 pm

I am also awaiting the answer. I have searched quite a bit, but there are quite a few questions that still need answering.
Hopefully I can get some answers at the THA meeting at the end of the week.
2:1 Motley corn
0:1 Tangerine Honduran Milksnake
Pezulu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Corncrazy » Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Kay i never used to hibernate/brumate my corns unless i was going to breed them, even with my adults. With my adult corns i just use to reduce the feeding abit and feed smaller prey, incase they put on extra pounds and go over weight. So no i dont see any reason why you will have to hibernate your corn. In breeding season, you might also notice that he will go off food abit, or not eat as much.
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)