Are ferrets now legal?

Anything other than a reptile or any other category covered on this forum.

Are ferrets now legal?

Postby NinjaMunki » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:27 am

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this topic.

After the latest list of Alien abd Invasive Species, released Friday the 1st of August 2014, I found no ferrets to be on this list. Does this no mean that ferrets are no longer on the black list? All I found even remotely similar to the ferrets on the list was short tailed weasel and stout.

I have tried to contact the nature conversion as well as other parties and I am just being met with rudeness and no one answers my questions.

Please help me out, if you can. :smt017
NinjaMunki
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Are ferrets now legal?

Postby Mr Venom » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:37 am

Only fixed ferrets are legal, it's been like that for a while.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NinjaMunki » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Any idea as to how one can obtain a neutered ferret?
NinjaMunki
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:19 pm

I have no idea, when I looked for one all of the ads I responded to were Nigerians from Upington willing to ship only after you pay deposit, while they send you photos of ferrets from the internet still with the watermark and website domaine name on the images.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cedarhill87 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:21 am

I would love to find out too if they are now legal.. and if so, where to find a legitimate seller!!

I think ill also try contact the nature conservation and see what I can find out
Cedarhill87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NinjaMunki » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:10 pm

That would be great, so confused by all of this as so many people are saying different things
NinjaMunki
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Ferrets are Schedule 6 animals in Gauteng which means they may not be kept as pets. Animals that are confiscated are euthanased. It is suspected that some of the last shipment of ferrets that was smuggled in has a disease which means they will die but it is also highly contagious. Any other animals it comes into contact with will also have to be put down. I would not take a ferret at this stage even if you paid me.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Cedarhill87 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Well I also looked up and read the latest released Alien and Invasive Species pdf and saw nothing mentioned of ferrets. . Ive contacted the gov and will see of any response.. I really wnt to find out if the law has changed as of August.
Cedarhill87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Obviously you are confusing National NEMBA legislation with Provincial ordinances.

Go ahead by all means. Contact government and let us know how that is working out for you.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mariska » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Did you manage to find out? I purchased a ferret (yes a real live healthy ferret) in durban, and need to get him to the eastern cape. Im trying to find out if they are legal in the eastern cape so I can fly him down, but just like you I have no luck:(
mariska
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:22 pm

I dont mean to sound rude, but a few internet searches or even searches on this forum will confirm that ferrets are illegal in RSA.

It feels as if people are simply asking the question again to get permission or something.

I think the consensus is ferrets are illegal; now it's just your own choice whether you want to keep them or not. The speed limit on national roads are 120km/h and it is illegal to drive any faster....
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Nicely put. Asking the same question numerous times or in different ways will not change the answer.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mariska » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:29 pm

I got in contact with Cape Nature today and they are indeed LEGAL in the eastern cape and kzn. Theyre illegal in the western cape but no surprise there. You do need a permit to move them from kzn to eastern cape but it cost nothing and takes 2 days to get the permit. I have sent the forms for the permit so this time next week my little ferret will be on the airline heading my way:)
mariska
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:52 am

Please note this information is not correct, ferrets are not legal in the Eastern Cape.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby mariska » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:15 am

The transporting permit has been approved so will receive it either today or tomorrow. Transport cost has been booked and paid so will post photos once my ferret arrives within the next couple of days:)
mariska
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Other Pets