Absolutely! Very nice
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kay » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:15 pm

Very!!
Kay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:17 pm

Does yours ever spit. They seem to forget how to do it rather quickly.

Can you take a full body shot please?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bugs » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:25 pm

BV unfortunately she belongs to a mate of mine but good news is that he's breeding them this season and I have some babies coming my way.
As for her temprament there's a lot of hooding and hissing but very little spitting.
bugs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nivea » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:54 pm

Hi.

Correct if i am wrong, but that looks like the Indochinese Spiiting cobra (Naja siamensis), it is also commonly called the "black and white spitting cobra". I am sure that WW could give a definate answer.

Thanks.
Nivea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bugs » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Nivea I'm No expert on Asian cobras. My mate Had these Imported from Switzerland as sputatrix. You could be right and it would be nice if someone could enlighten us on which one of the two it is. ANYBODY?
BV do you have an answer for us?
bugs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Deon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:40 pm

I must agree with Nivea, that does look like siamensis. BUT we could both be wrong. :-) WW??
Keep your friends close to you and your enemies closer.
Deon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:48 pm

Beautiful snake.

I am 99% sure, that is 'siamensis'. For many years they were incorrectly called 'sputatrix'. True sputatrix are typically a shade of plain brown.

I think its ok to call them sputatrix in the trade (as everyone does) but if you want to get technical then its Naja siamensis.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby bugs » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanx for the info Pytonodipsas
bugs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:36 pm

Definitely Naja siamensis. They are often sold as Naja sputatrix in the trade, but the black and white pattern is characteristic of Central Thai N. siamensis. Just to confuse things, N. siamensis from northern and northeastern Thailand are uniformly brownish or olie, with or without a hood marking.

It is worth remembering the difference, since there is a real Naja sputatrix, which is a totally different species, from Indonesia.

See also http://biology.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/Taxa/AsNaja.htm

Cheers,

WW
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Sorted, thanks.

I loved it when they were all Naja naja and a few subspecies because then I could sound clever. Now I have learned to just keep quiet.

I even imported those as N. sputatrix many years ago. Then in later years I was told they were N. atra and now finally we are sure.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Naja Sputatrix

Postby Chantel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I have imported Sputatrix from Indonesia and most are a jet shiny black but there are also populations of light sandy brown ones and the odd pure white (albino) ones.
Gavin
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:22 pm

Im willing to bet my shorts on that being N.Siamensis
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakepeter » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:59 am

It`s definitelly Naja siamensis, as WW already told :oops:
This topic is very interesting, as it gives me a possibility to discuss color variation of Naja sputatrix. I would appreciate especially opinion of WW, but of course, all are welcome to join "this party" :-P It`s nothing scientific from my side, I just want to share some experiences, resp. animals we had/have now...

Few years ago we got some Naja sputatrix, which were almost black, or let`s say dark in coloration. Here are some pictures of one of them...

As we didn`t get them from dirrect import made by us, I have no idea what locality they can be... Some of them died already, we have now just single male left...

Approx. 6 weeks ago we imported from Indonesia some Naja sputatrix again. They come from East Java (that`s what I was told), and are absolutelly different - cream colored, very light... Here are pictures of one of them:

We have both genders of these, so hopefully we can try to breed them next year, after they calm down over us ;)

It`s really interesting to see what different colors can one species have. I know that this species is quite controversal, and some of people think there are separate species among them, but as I know, they are still one so far...
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)