McLays Stick Insect

McLays Stick Insect

Postby Fireflame » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:01 pm

My female McLay has suddenly taken ill... she's been laying eggs but still quite small in comparison with some females I've seen. I put some fresh leaves in their tank after rinsing them in the shower under cold tap water - could this be it? Should I have used filtered water to rinse them? They were from the same tree I've been using for months, and the male seems fine! Has anyone had experience with stick insect sicknesses?
Fireflame
SA Reptiles Member

Postby No_One_T » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:15 pm

How old is your Stick Insect.

Iv'e heard they only live to like 18 months..
No_One_T
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fireflame » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:52 pm

I've had her since January and she's nowhere near fully grown...
Fireflame
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:50 pm

Fireflame wrote:I've had her since January and she's nowhere near fully grown...

Do you use Mr Min spray in the same room as your stick insects? Cause our maid used mr min ONCE in the same room as my stick insects and three of them shuffled off this mortal coil... I moved them outside and the rest are fine now.
Corns : 1.1 Adult Normals het Anery, 0.1 Adult Normal, 1.1 Adult Ghosts (Striped & Aztec), 1.1 Ghost motley het Snow, 1.1 Adult Lavender, 1.1 Adult Opal, 1.1 Adult Amel Motley, 1.1 Bloodreds Het Pewter, Phantom & Hypo; 1.1 Butter; Adult 0.1 Vanishing Stripe; 0.1 Snow. Pythons : 1.1 Ball Pythons
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:52 pm

oh and the other thing I noticed is if you don't mist them often enough they peg off as well.
Corns : 1.1 Adult Normals het Anery, 0.1 Adult Normal, 1.1 Adult Ghosts (Striped & Aztec), 1.1 Ghost motley het Snow, 1.1 Adult Lavender, 1.1 Adult Opal, 1.1 Adult Amel Motley, 1.1 Bloodreds Het Pewter, Phantom & Hypo; 1.1 Butter; Adult 0.1 Vanishing Stripe; 0.1 Snow. Pythons : 1.1 Ball Pythons
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wouts » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:39 pm

What does your set up look like. I've been keeping these guys for 2 years now and have had lots of success with them.
It could be a number of things that could make your bug sick. What do you feed it eucalyptus? or bramble or oak?
Where is the tree situated? etc. etc.
A hen is only an eggs way of making another egg.
Wouts
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fireflame » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:25 pm

I had them in a tank with bark & walnut chip substrate, and fed them eucalyptus leaves. The tree is in a park in the neighborhood. I've been using the same tree for around 6 months with no problems. Don't know where to get bramble leaves... are oak better? What type of oak? The male is still going strong! I've made sure no aerosols are used nearby as a safety precaution...
Fireflame
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wouts » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Fireflame,
I'm lucky in the sense that I can find lots of bramble close to where I live. to me that is the best plant to feed them. I never had too much success with eucalyptus. If the your E. tree grows near traffic close to the road, find another one. I recently tried regular oak and it works just as well as bramble. I raise the smallies on the bramble because it's softer for their small mouthparts and then as they get bigger they go on oak, and occasionally bramble.

Also make sure your tank has enough ventelation. I use an old parrot cage coverred with organza. this also works well for cleaning because the poop falls through the bottom of the cage into the bottom tray so it's easy to clean. just pull out tray with poop throw out and wash. If your cage gets too damp or wet the poop moulds and that is a sure killer for these guys. I just raise them like I raise my butterflies and it works like a bomb.

Hope this helps!!
A hen is only an eggs way of making another egg.
Wouts
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:02 am

I keep mine in an exoterra plastic frame cage with a plastic mesh thing that zips around the frame. Its perfect for ventilation and its very light so you can move it around easily. I put the cage outside a few times a week for them to get some sun and they seem to like it.
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fireflame » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I've got my male in a well-ventilated ExoTerra tank, with woodlice which take care of the poops. But i like the idea of something more portable for a bit of sunlight! She left me with a few eggs so i'll start hunting around for some bramble!
Fireflame
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fireflame » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Anyone know where i can find bramble in the Fourways area or thereabouts??
Fireflame
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Other invertebrates