Retic Bite

Re: Retic Bite

Postby Hustler » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:59 pm

ooh man that looks bad but as for the staples, I think I'd rather be bitten than stapled. Man for you to still be relaxed enough to take a photo and have them come out like that all I have to say is amazing, I'd be screaming running around all over the place grabbing anything to make the pain seem less
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:25 pm

Hmmm...very thought provoking viewing. I could never have been stapled without anaesthetic though. That is just cruel !!! I have some retics of my own that I am very careful of. My tigers are gorgeous but dangerous around feeding time. When I open the door of their viv they start coming out with that predatory look in their eyes and I have often wondered what it would be like if they miss the food item and get me instead. Now I know thanks to your pics.
I have had this happen to me with a Burmese python before - fortunately only about 1.8 metres long. Got bitten on the hand. It hurts like hell when they throw coils around their jaws to tighten their grip. The recurved teeth are like razor blades and I wasn't going to try pulling away. I did manage to unwrap her coils from around her jaws though. Then just waited for her to realise I wasn't food. Took a good few painful minutes and rivulets of blood were dripping off my hand by then - nice mess on the floor to clean up afterwards but no stitches necessary :). I really love my big guys though. They have a lot of character and each one is different. Thanks for sharing.
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pit Viper » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:16 pm

The amazing fact about this post is that you do not often hear about a large constrictor bit in order to defend oneself it always happens when it's feeding time and usually the keepers mistake.

It also shows that we as keepers loves ones reptile alot and always thinks that it will not bite one. It also signifies that we as keepers are slacking when it comes to respecting these great animals.

Thanks for sharing
Any reptile killer is no friend of mine
Pit Viper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:37 pm

I'd still rather get a proper bite from my retic than a nip from a Black Mamba!
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:50 pm

I'd still rather get a proper bite from my retic than a nip from a Black Mamba!

AMEN!
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:57 pm

I'd rather not get bitten at all...
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:28 pm

The only way to guarantee that is to not keep snakes!
There are only two types of peolpe who keep snakes... Those have been bitten and those who are going to be bitten.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Robin228 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi

I am working on a new show for Animal Planet about snakes and snake bites. We are interested in the photo you have posted of you bite and the bloody sock.
Would you be interested in giving us permission to use your photo in our show?

Please contact me at
robin.goldstein@2cmedia.com

thank you
Robin
Robin228
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:43 pm

@ Snakes4africa your leg is going to be famous!!! whoop whoop!!!
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Looks really painful. A good reminder for us all to be careful and keep alert!! I was bitten by my beardie - also my own stupid fault - I was holding a cricket at the time and he took both the cricket and my finger!! It felt like I had slammed a door shut on my finger, so I can imagine how painful a retic's bite can be.

It was also a case of mistaken identity and I'm not sure who got the bigger fright - me or the beardie!! When he realised he had my finger he let go immediately and strangely enough it seemed like he was always more careful when I hand fed him after that. He was always as gentle as a lamb and loved being handled by anyone and everyone. I lost him a while ago and miss the old man, but my finger will always remember him.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus)