Python attacks horse

Python attacks horse

Postby Sico » Fri May 22, 2015 11:35 am

I picked up a thread on FB a short while ago, a 15.1 hands horse was attacked by a python in Kameeldrift, Pretoria east this morning. The attack was witnessed by a groom, and although the python did not kill the horse, the horse was later euthanased by a vet due to the significant fractures and internal injuries that it suffered.
The snake is still in the area, I have passed on some numbers from forum members possibly able to assist, if anyone does end up going out there, and finds this snake, please update us, as I am very interested to see the size of snake than can take out a horse of that size.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Python attacks horse

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Fri May 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi Sico.Im sure you will find this to be a load of rubbish.Pythons are strong but this is just not possible.Constrictors are not usually able to break bones except for maybe very small ones.An adult horse/pony is very powerful with mega strong bones.
This type of story gives snakes a bad name for no good reason.
A.
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Fri May 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Well we'll see when they find it. From the sounds of it, it was going for the foal (week old) and the mare got snagged instead. And for what it's worth, rib bones break very easily.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Sun May 24, 2015 4:43 pm

I find it extremely unlikely that a python got around an adult, standing horse and broke bones. Horses are way too powerful and fast for this to happen.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MKDobison » Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 am

HI Sico... Would be thrilled to see the story... Damages... Photos... PROOF..? Poor old snakes getting a bad rep yet again... Don't believe everything you read on the internet and of all places Facebook.
Look before you leap, For snakes among sweet flowers do creep.
MKDobison
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 28, 2015 6:48 pm

I went to the farm on the day and the horse had been shot not constricted. The next day another horse died and the next day two horses were also sick. They still dont want to admit that the snake (if there was one) and the horse dying are not related.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby scalybunni » Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 am

Stories like these just tick me off. There is no way that this is true.
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)