Python release on the Congo River

Python release on the Congo River

Postby nyami » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi all,
A while back in one of my very few posts I said I would post a few pics of one of my recent trips up the Congo River. On this particular trip myself and a biologist from the Wildlife Trust were conducting a follow up survey on the West African Manatee (Trichechus senegalensis) population in the area. I also decided to take the opportunity to release a African Rock Python (Python sebae) which I had in our holding facility. I hope you enjoy! It is really a beautiful and wild place!

Releasing juvenile African Rock python.

One of many side channels.

Another side channel.

Sosaties Angolan style!! These fresh water clams form part of the staple diet of the locals.

Note the discarded clam shells. The shells are incredible hard and robust.
nyami
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Python release on the Congo River

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Beautiful Place. Amazing.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Thanks for posting this! In what part of Angola is this? Did you find the Manatees? I always pictured them as animals that like clear water, but clearly I had a completely wrong picture in my head, as I can't really imagine the Congo river having clear water (maybe I was thinking of the West Indian one). Would those photos show the typical natural habitat of the Manatees?

One day....
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby nyami » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:59 am

Bushsnake the area is about 40km up river from the mouth and yes this is typical Manatee habitat "dirty water" and all. On this particular trip we had no sightings however we have seen them on previous trips. On that section of the river the main channel is 5km across with a myriad of side channels, so there is plenty of places for a manatee to hide! As part of the survey we interview local fisherman and they report seeing them on almost a daily basis. So indications are that there is still a fairly healthy population in the area but as you can imagine it is virtually impossible to obtain accurate data on population numbers.
Glad you enjoyed!
Cheers
nyami
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 pm

Awesome mate, wish I could be in your shoes! Herping must be amazing over there! Oh and the fishing shouldnt be too bad either?
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nyami » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:22 am

The herping is great but unfortunately due to the threat posed by landmines and UXO's our movements are restricted. So I do mainly callouts to the various job sites.
The fishing is also great from tarpon to Cuberra snapper to kingies but guess what- company policy -no fishing!! -painful!!
nyami
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:30 am

company policy -no fishing!!

Must be part of your company's agereement to be able to work there. A case of 'leave our resources alone!' I love jungles though, must suck not being able to wander off.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Im sure if you really wanted to you could wander off, it just may be a while before you wander back in.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:04 pm

Rob wrote:Im sure if you really wanted to you could wander off, it just may be a while before you wander back in.

Or before someone comes along to pick up all the pieces... Sad to think of all the poor folk who still suffer because of the landmines still buried there.

Looks like a piece of paradise. Wow.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sabje » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Amazing nature! and that Sebae is Awesome! thanks for sharing.

Regards
Sabje
Big Boids And Fast Elapids.... Got to Love them!!
Sabje
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ozzy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Awsome pics I caught an African Rock Python about the same size at Mabalingwe when I was 10 years old. Mabalingwe is a game reserve in Limpopo.
Ozzy
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Return to African pythons & boas