Central newt

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Central newt

Postby croteseeker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:32 am

It's been a long, cold winter in Northern Michigan and we got a late start on the herping season. (4.5 meters of snow this year, and it took it's sweet time melting off.) I finally got to get out during the first warm rain of the year and I was rewarded with this. This is a pseudo-lifer for me, as I've seen them before but never photographed one.

Notophthalmus viridescens louisianensis

DSCF2954 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

Since I do so love landscapes, I'll leave you with a shot of the habitat where this animal was found.

DSCF3013 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

Happy herping. :smt006
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Central newt

Postby Westley Price » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 am

Sjoe, habitat looks difficult to herp, and gumboots is a must!

I love the colour of the newt, especially the bright orange spots on the flanks.

I am watching the Life in Cold Blood series (again) and I just love the evolutionary history of the newts and salamanders. Such an interesting group of animals.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby croteseeker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks, Westley. This is definitely my favorite amphibian find to date. :)

Believe it or not, this is actually one of the easiest habitats for herping that I've found here, right behind open fields and oak savannah. These mature woods have a high canopy that keeps the understory thin enough for easy travel. It's all these young, dense swamps and thickets that have taken the most adjustment. I'll include some shots of the places I herp in other posts. I'm sure you'll be able to see what I mean.

You're definitely right about the boots, though. All that water is ice and snowmelt, and I'm quickly learning how well cold feet can sap you of your resolve. It doesn't take much time in that water before I'm ready to tell you where my grandmother hides her money, and to hell with looking for herps. :lol:
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 pm

We dont have anything like that here so it is always interesting to see what you are up to.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby croteseeker » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:57 am

Thanks, Bushviper. There are at least a dozen salamander species in Michigan, so hopefully I can find a few more to show you guys this summer. (It's the very least I can do to repay you guys for all the awesome snake photos. :) )

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians