Project Noah

Anything you think we should know about that is not reptile related can be posted here.

Project Noah

Postby Mehelya » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:26 pm

I did a search on the forum, and I hope that my zero result find was true... What a great way to get the average Joe involved in conservation, sightings, and recording...

In their own words :

"...Project Noah was launched out of NYU’s Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP) in early 2010. It all started off as an experiment to see if we could build a fun, location-based mobile application to encourage people to reconnect with nature and document local wildlife. We wanted to harness the power and popularity of new smart phones to collect important ecological data and help preserve global biodiversity.

After our official iPhone launch in February of 2010, we received great feedback and decided to push forward. Shortly after launching, we earned a spot in the first Startl Mobile Design Boost where we had the opportunity to improve our design with the help of the Startl team and folks from IDEO. A few months later we won the inaugural “Breakthrough in Mobile Learning” prize from the Joan Ganz Cooney Center. With the $50K cash prize we were able to design our next generation software and attract National Geographic as an investor.

The founding members of Project Noah are Yasser Ansari, Martin Ceperley, Peter Horvath, and Bruno Kruse. Collectively, our backgrounds cover molecular biology, bioinformatics, product management, photography, software development, user experience design, and general hardware and software hacking.

Our ultimate goal is to build the go-to platform for documenting all the world's organisms and through doing this we hope to develop an effective way to measure Mother Nature's pulse. By encouraging the mobile masses to document their encounters with nature, we hope to build a powerful force for data collection and an important educational tool for wildlife awareness and preservation. We hope you'll support us on this mission by joining Project Noah today..."

http://www.projectnoah.org
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Project Noah

Postby froot » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Looks like a great concept, I hope they succeed. This is basically what we're trying to do here for reptiles with our observation record sections, a commonplace for people to learn something about reptiles they never knew before.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Re: Project Noah

Postby Mehelya » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks Froot, and I think that our section probably has the most photographed reptiles for any website in the net-world. And constantly growing on a daily basis thanks to some of the hard-core herpers!
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Return to News