Hi there newbie from Cape Town

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Hi there newbie from Cape Town

Postby Chadyboy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi, my names Chad, Im from Cape Town. (Im a newbie to reptiles but am quite good at taking care of all animals)

So i got a glass tank which is 90cm(L) x33cm(W) x36(H).

1. What could i house in there? Looking at maybe some kind of sociable lizards/geckos.
2. Where in Cape Town area can i find reptiles or if any one knows someone that sells reptiles?
3. And lastly can any one tell about the permits?

Thanks in advanced. Your help will be much appreciated
Chadyboy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hi there newbie from Cape Town

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Chad and welcome to the forum.
An enclosure of that size could house a bearded dragon or leopard gecko. Snake species that will be suitable include brown house snakes and corn snakes.

I am not familiar with any of the breeders or pet shops in your area, but you will certainly get a reply that will help out with that.

As for permits I am also not clued up for your area, but I think you may require permits for any reptile you wish to keep whether it is exotic or indigenous. Luckily, from what I understand, the permit system there is efficient and hassle-free compared to other provinces.
If you do a search on the forum you should find plenty information regarding this.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hi there newbie from Cape Town

Postby IanM » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi Chad,
You could try getting hold of the guys at the Reptile Garden at the Stodels Garden Centre in Bellville. They are really good. The petshops I have found don't really know what they are talking about, but there are exceptions like Panorama Pets. There are also a few other breeders around, depends what you're looking for.
Unfortunately, a lot of the animals that you can keep in other provinces are banned in the Western Cape, like leopard and fat tailed geckos, and bearded dragons.

For permits, you'll have to get a transport permit issued by Cape Nature everytime you buy or sell an animal, and a captivity permit for keeping them.

Hope that helps
IanM
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Introductions