Lost my beardie this morning

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

Lost my beardie this morning

Postby Marion » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 am

Hi all

Lizzie my 5 year old beardie died very suddenley this morning. This weekend she was still racing around her enclosure, last night she was fine but this morning she looked like she was struggling to breathe - she was gaping. I immediately rushed her off the vet but before he could look at her properly she had died.

She was my first baby and I'm going to miss her a lot. She was so docile and loved to be handled. So now I wait to see what the post mortem reveals. Very important - in case she had something contagious.

Will see what the vet finds.
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Lost my beardie this morning

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 am

Sorry to hear about your loss..
Friends of mine's beardie also died last week. Was also a very healthy beardie and he just tipped over with a gaping mouth and foam inside. Post Mortem said he had a liver infection
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mmwc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 am

Sorry to hear this news. at least the post mortem will clear up why this has happend.
mmwc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 am

Sorry to hear, it is never nice to lose an animal friend.
To put hopefully some light on the subject, i bought myself and my fiance each a dwarf hamster, cheeky bums and fatty bums.:)
They were the the sweetest hamsters in the world and we grew very attached to them, fatty bums passed due to natural cause about 1.5 years after we got him, cheeky bums was happy because as you know she was also getting old but still very playfull. Moved back to my mom and them and then got my fiance her first Red Tail Boa (Alexis). Went away for a weekend came back and the snake was no longer in the cage, i hit a panic and start to search, to OUR SHOCKING discovery she was in cheeky bums cage nice and cozy in the hamsters house with a bulge in the middle.... I knew OMW, my fiance just ran out the room pretty much shocked not believing what happened. I felt terrible and didn't know what to say to my fiance, but Alexis is nice and healthy and carying on.
So I hope my story helped you bit to feel better, what you call mixed emotions at that moment. LOL
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jaco Smit » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Hey Marion.
Sorry to hear about your loss.
But she is in a good place again. Running wild and free.
Good luck and let us know what the cause was.
Happy Herping.
Jaco Smit
SA Reptiles Member

Post Mortem done

Postby Marion » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:20 am

Hi all

I spoke to the vet this morning about the cause of death of my lovely beardie lizzie who died really suddenley yesterday. He did an autopsy and found a huge tumour which he has sent away for testing.

You could have knocked me over with a feather - a tumour was the very last thing on my mind. Especialy since she didn't show any signs whatsoever. No lumps or bumps or swellings etc. I would have noticed anything out of the ordinary because I handled her all the time.

At least I now have some sort of clarity and can stop feeling guilty - it's not something I did wrong!! I will probably know in a week or so what kind of tumour it was. Has anyone else had that sort of experience with a lizard or any other reptile for that matter?
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Post Mortem done

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:22 am

shu luckly you now know it's not contagous. Although it does nothing for the empyt feeling left. Hope you feel better soon!
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi Carla

Yes ......... so glad it's not contagious!! It was the one thing I was terrified about.
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to RIP